Ok, so I'm still kicking myself kind of for this one, so I just gotta blog about it and get it off my chest.
It was a beautiful day today: sunny, not a cloud in the skies and high of 82. So I decided the kids and I needed an "adventure" outing this morning. We started with a stop at the Boston Public Library. Thought I'm sure the kids preferred it this way, the visit was short on walking around and admiring the architecture of this beautiful building and long on hanging out in the children's room where we played and read books. We were all disappointed when we realized that the libraries in the city of Boston are in a different network then our library, so we weren't able to check out any of the books we had picked out. But don't worry, Nathan had me make a list of the books so we could pick them up at our library later in the week.
Next we headed to the First Church of Christ Scientist Plaza, where we had enjoyed playing in the fountains last year. This year there was plenty of running around, though not much actual getting wet. But the kids had fun and burned off some energy, so that was the most important thing.
Last year we got a chance to go inside the church and see the smaller, older chapel, though the other half of the church was not open yet that day. But today both kids were eager to take a peek inside the church and they ended up lasting through the half hour tour thought both buildings! This is the pipe organ in the larger cathedral - one of the largest in the world!
After our tour we headed home for naps and quiet time, then after one quick episode of Dora the Explorer (the kids' new favorite show), we headed back downtown to the Scooper Bowl - a 3 day ice cream festival, where you get unlimited ice cream for the price of admission (its a charity event that benefits the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute). The kids were THRILLED when I told them that we were going to be having ice cream for dinner, and they were equally thrilled when they heard we were going to meet our church friend Clint there.
Though the kids started slow, once they both got a hold of the Breyer's chocolate ice cream their intake increased dramatically, with both downing 5-6 bowls of ice cream! Their cast off flavors included vanilla, strawberry, superman and birthday cake.
And us adults? Well, we ate quite a bit of ice cream too. I decided I needed to stop when my stomach started gurgling threateningly, and thankfully that was soon enough that I didn't feel too terrible. Though Nathan did have a hard time believing me when I told him that my stomach hurt from too much ice cream - like such a thing is possible, Mom!
And then we were approached by a photographer from the Boston Globe who asked to take a picture of Nathan eating ice cream in his Superman shirt. I of course was thrilled with the prospect, but then I decided I would do the respectful thing and make sure Nathan was agreeable as well. He got shy and said no. So next time, my plan is to NOT draw Nathan's attention to the situation, instead shove more ice cream in his face and get that cute mug in the newspaper!! Why oh why didn't I just keep my mouth shut? (BTW, I'm pretty sure the picture of Nathan and Brian from Memorial Day will only be in an online story and not in the Brookline TAB this week - I'll know for sure when I check the paper on Thursday when we head to the library.) So I thought that today was the day that we would actually make it in a print version, but I thwarted myself. Bummer!
(Ok, I realize the paper thing is not really a big deal, but it would have been super cool!)
Back To School Night - Germantown Hills, IL (2016)
10 years ago












No comments:
Post a Comment