Wednesday, August 27, 2014

In Other News, We're Having A Baby!

The first part of this blog post was drafted in July in Boston, but with all the chaos of the move I didn't get it posted.  I've done some editing but mainly left the initial portion as written, then added some updated news at the end.

Yep, Kornrumpf Baby #3 is due to arrive on or around January 13, 2015!  (Jennie did check at the 13th is a Tuesday, in case the baby decides to arrive on time.  Not that we are superstitious, but nice to know nonetheless.)

We got the positive test the day we drove home from NYC in May, though we definitely suspected while we were there - it wasn't just all the yummy food that was to blame for my poochy tummy.


We were so giddy with excitement that night, I was thinking (but didn't say anything) "I'm so excited about this baby!  We should keep going and have four!" and then a little bit later Brian said to me "We should totally have four kids!"  But don't hold us to that by any means, I think we both would plead temporary insanity.  These days its more like "We're starting all over again with pregnancy and diapers and sleepless nights?  I know it will be worth it, but its also really nice to have all walking, talking, potty trained kids..."

Our estimated due date of January 8 got pushed back to January 13th after an ultrasound in Boston in early June.  Nathan and Sarah's due dates were also moved back about a week a piece (Nathan from Oct 11 to Oct 18 and Sarah's from Nov 12 to Nov 18).  We also got 3D and 4D ultrasounds this time around!  Though in Winston they were still charging extra to press the button to go from regular to 3D/4D (at least when we were having Sarah), seems like its standard now at least in Boston.




We told the kids that I was pregnant the weekend before my OB appointment (which was around 8 weeks) and amazingly they didn't mention it to anyone until we were ready to start telling people at 13 weeks!  Nathan thinks/hopes the baby will be a boy and Sarah (usually) says she's hoping for a girl.  I'm predicting a boy at this point but Brian's thinking a girl.  (I've been right and Brian's been wrong both previous times, but who knows which parent/child team is guessing correctly this time around.  I'm kind of worried that my mother's intuition may have reached it's end...  We hope to find out sometime in August.)

I told myself that Baby #3 wasn't going to be poor, neglected, photo-poor third kid, and I was going to start early with weekly bump pictures (which I didn't do with either N or S).  But then I tried to set up a pinterest-quality baby bump photo shoot and it wasn't quite as easy as I anticipated (by myself at least), so we'll just settle for this picture a few days ago at 14 weeks.  Yep, I'm definitely sporting a distinctive baby bump these days!


I have been blessed that so far that this pregnancy has been fairly easy, like both Nathan's and Sarah's.  But even though I don't have any major morning sickness or symptoms to report, this baby has been drastically sapping my energy.  I nap almost every day (thank you dear God that Nathan does so great with his hour of "quiet time") but even then I'm exhausted by bedtime, which is another reason that the blog was so slow lately.  I have been having food smell and taste aversions, mainly to raw and cooked meat, and I've been craving Asian food (sushi - perfect right? - and the fried unhealthyness of Chinese takeout orange or sesame chicken).

We are so thankful that the baby and I are healthy and we are all excited about this new phase for our family!

Ok now fast-forward to last week...

So this week I'm 19 weeks and that means anatomy ultrasound and WE FIND OUT IF THE BABY'S A BOY OR GIRL!  Though I talked a big game after Sarah was born, thinking that since we now have both a boy and girl and are fully stocked with newborn clothes for either gender that we might let this baby be a "surprise" at delivery.  But as the weeks passed and Brian and I were already very casually tossing around possible names, we decided that we definitely were going to find out what we were having.  In the past we've had difficulty agreeing on a name (we decided Nathan's name on the way to the hospital to be induced at 41.5 weeks, but at least it was before he was born!), so focusing in on one gender is just easier for us.  Plus, we just want to know!!

I had my OB appointment and ultrasound on Thursday, but Brian wasn't able to be there and the kids were at home with Nana for naptime/quiet time, so the ultrasound tech wrote the gender down for me and put it in an envelope to bring home and open with the family.  At the time I was disappointed about the circumstances, but turns out it was much more fun to find out this way.  So if you want to experience the anticipation with us, watch the video of the (non-Pinterest worthy) gender reveal.


Or if you just want to know and don't want to wait two minutes to watch the video, scroll down a bit...


down...



down...



keep going...



a bit more...



Ok, the baby is a...


BOY!!!

 And though the photo below (19 weeks) is staged, Nathan truly will walk by me at least once a day, rub my belly and tell me "Mommy, your belly's getting big!"  And I just tell him he hasn't seen "big" yet!!

3 comments:

  1. Happy to see Sarah's big smile in the last pictures! You look great! Mom/Gran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Poor Sarah! Hopefully she comes around quick! Congrats and glad you guys are getting settled!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Exciting! Thanks for sharing this news. We'd love to see you all if you travel through Winston-Salem any time. Take care!
    Becky Lynn and Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete