One of Andrew's trademark behaviors right now is his belly driving. Whenever he sees a toy car the first (and many times only) thing he wants to do is drive it back and forth across his tummy.
I always thought he liked to do that since it made for easy inspection of the turning wheels, but what happened last week has given me a better glimpse into Andrew's motivation. When he picked up a car after nap time and started to drive it across his (clothed) belly, he immediately tried to raise his shirt up but then decided he just wanted it off and pulled on it to show me what he wanted. So I helped him out of the shirt and he happily started driving the car on his bare skin. This incident also made me realize how much of the time he
spends without a shirt on, due to the fact that his shirt always comes off at mealtimes and rarely gets put back on in a timely fashion (he won't keep a bib on but is still WAY too messy to eat with a
shirt on). And also after swimming in the afternoons I don't usually put a shirt on
him again until he gets in his pajamas.
The other amusing story related to this is when I dropped him off in the church nursery a few weeks ago, he started fussing as soon as I set him down. The nursery worker that day happened to be our next door neighbor, and the first thing she said was "Let me get a car for him to drive on his tummy. I know the trick with this one!" And of course she was completely correct!
No comments:
Post a Comment