Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Finding N's

Nathan has known his upper case letters for quite a while now and loves to find letters he knows in books, especially books that I'm (trying to) read. His favorites to point out are "N for me" or "M for you" or "S for Sarah" or "D for Daddy". His favorite letter to find is N and the other day he was looking on a page in my book but couldn't find one. So I decided I needed to start putting effort into teaching him his lower case letters. Fortunately one of his favorite books to read right now is Dr. Seuss' ABC books, which talk about the big and little letters. This afternoon before nap we were reading it and we practiced finding little n's on the "n" page. Then on the next page he tried to find another one and pointed to the "h". Pretty close, and also made me realize again how tricky the lower case letters can be. Then he read me "I Love You Through and Through", his FAVORITE book to read aloud to me. We got to the page "... your silly side and your mad side..." and he told me he wanted to look for n's. I said there weren't any on that page, but he looked a little more, then TURNED THE BOOK UPSIDE DOWN and pointed to the "u" that had now become an "n"!! I gave him a big ol' kiss and told him what good thinking that was!

3 comments:

  1. INCREDIBLE! First 4 leaf clovers, next upside down letters! Gran

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Aunt Karen: What a clever boy Nathan is! I remember when Katie as looking for Ks. She was almost 3 years old and we were at Mom and Dad's house. She'd see KMart and shout out "There's a K! K for Katie!" Every few minutes she'd see another one. Fond memories. Love to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten that Karen...thanks! GranFran

      Delete