By the time we checked into the hotel in Martha's Vineyard on Wednesday afternoon, we were all pretty beat. Some of our exhaustion was from our adventures before we even got to the ferry, which I forgot to mention in my previous post.
A few days before we went on our trip, we were starting the car and had a little trouble. Brian commented that we would probably need a new battery so that the car wouldn't die on us during the winter (I'm sure you can tell where this story is going). Wednesday morning, when we were almost completely packed to leave for the Vineyard, Brian and Nathan went to get the car and pull it around to our front door. I was puttering around, getting snacks and waters and so forth, then more puttering and more puttering and finally wondering what in the world was taking the boys so long! I finally realized that Brian may have tried to call me, and sure enough, he had. I called him back quickly and found out that the car would not start! He was knocking on doors around our parking spot to see if someone could give him a jump, but he also asked me to go upstairs and see if our neighbor was home (she parks in the same lot as us). Brian was finally able to find someone to jump the car and pulled it around to the house. Sarah and I came down with some bags and then it was my job to make sure the car stays running while he brought our suitcase and pack a tool chest.
One problem with living inside a big city - no convenient Walmart when you need one! I had been looking for some storage containers which I could only find for a reasonable price at Walmart, so we already planned a detour before the ferry to stop at one. Otherwise, the closest store was 30 minutes from our house with no traffic and I hadn't really
wanted to spend a whole morning of Brian's vacation going on a Walmart
run. Good thing, since with our car problems we would have been stopping anyway!
So we drove to Walmart, and while Sarah and I shopped my list, Brian and Nathan bought a new battery, worked on the car in the parking lot to swap batteries, and went back into the store to return the old battery for the refund. Then we realized that we had about 15 minutes to stuff lunch into our faces if we wanted to catch our 1:00pm ferry (otherwise we were out of luck until 2:30). And even though the kids don't seem to consume much food most days, they take quite a white to not consume that food. Thankfully we found a convenient Chipotle and made it to the ferry with less then 10 minutes to spare!
So, as I was saying, by the time we got to our hotel room, the whole family was already pretty tired out. But after relaxing for maybe an hour, Brian and I agreed it was time to rally the troops and get in some beach time before dinner. And I am SOOOO glad we did because Wednesday was the best weather day we had. Unfortunately I didn't take my big camera with us to the beach (thinking that we would have at least one more "good" beach outing during out stay), but the Iphone pictures captured our experience pretty well.
Less then half a mile walk away from our hotel was Lighthouse Beach. Edgartown was historically a whaleing port and the Edgartown Lighthouse is on a peninsula that marks the entrance to the harbor.
We headed to the more deserted ocean side of the beach, where we found course sand and lots and lots of rocks. Have I mentioned that all other three members of this family are fairly obsessed with rocks? Mama doesn't quite get it, but these three can look for cool rocks all day long!
All. Day. Long.
Back To School Night - Germantown Hills, IL (2016)
10 years ago











No comments:
Post a Comment