Tuesday, September 9, 2014

First Day 2014!!

After-school update added at the end of the post...

The kiddos started preschool today!  They were both really excited, even last night I had a hard time getting them to calm down and go to sleep.  This morning they did great getting ready quickly and both were super cheerful and cooperative for our first day of school picture.


Daddy was on 24-hour call yesterday so was home this morning to see us all off, which was a nice bonus (then he headed straight back to bed for some more sleep).

I was confident that Nathan would do great, it was just Sarah that I was concerned about tears at drop off.  But on the way into school, loaded down with her gear (backpack, lunchbox, Kitty-Cat and nap mat cover), there was still a HUGE grin on her face.


She stopped to talk to the man holding the door for us "Na-fan is going to one school and I going to another!" (by "school" she really meant "room"), then gave Nathan a big hug and kiss (his room is first when you go into the building).  I barely got a "good-bye" from Nathan before he dashed into his classroom to find his cubby.  He had told me yesterday "I love school!", which thrilled me and made me hope we can keep that excitement going for years to come.

Sarah was still pretty cool as I escorted her into her classroom.  I was so close to making it out the door before the waterworks started, but I had forgotten to sign her in and had to come back into the classroom to do that.  At which point Sarah wailed "Mommy, I want to go with you!" and the tears began flowing.  So I flashed her another confident smile and wave and then skedaddled!   Of course, then I realized that I had left my keys on top of Sarah's cubby, but I was able to get one of the dads still in the room to snag them and hand them to me so my face wouldn't be seen again.
 
And then... glorious freedom for the next 5 1/2 hours!!  And I didn't get a phone call at the hour mark, which means Sarah probably calmed down and is hopefully enjoying herself today.  I've ran some errands, cleaned the kitchen, did some dinner prep work, now updating the blog, then I'll consult my (huge) to-do list to see what I should accomplish next.  Probably I'll wade through the hundreds of pictures that Brian and I took last week on our Out West road trip - the reason that the blog's been silent again lately.  So more details to come on that... sometime!

After-school update:

As expected, Nathan did stellar and loved every minute of his day.  He also has a friend in his class who's in his Sunday school class at Hardin Valley C of C, so that's pretty cool!  

Sarah, also as expected (though I was hoping for a small miracle), had a rough day.  Apparently she cried on and off all day.  They brought Nathan in at least twice to try and comfort her.  Apparently she was one of three in her class that was having a rough time, so I'm sure they were setting each other off with the crying.  She was cheerful when we picked her up and matter-of-factually told us that she woke the other kids up at naptime because she was crying (though her teacher said she did fall asleep about 20 minutes into naptime).  Her daily report also noted that she was "sad and grumpy", to which she also readily agreed.  This afternoon was a little rough because it was obvious she was tired from her too-short naptime, and she's told me more then once that on Friday "I want to walk with you down the hall" at school (ie. leave with me when I drop off Nathan).  So... yeah... that's where we're at!

No comments:

Post a Comment