Tuesday, September 30, 2014

He Said, She Said (September 2014 Edition)

Nathan: My hair is tan.
Mommy: Most people would call it blond.
N: Don’t call it blond. Call it tan!
(In previous years he was convinced that his hair color was “gray”!)

*  *  *

Mommy: Sarah, we need to trim your nails. They are long and dirty.
Sarah: But not this one! (pointing to the thumb that she sucks)
M: That’s right because its always in your mouth.
S: (Looking at her other thumb) But this one is dirty.
M: Right, because you don’t suck that thumb.
S: No, I DON’T suck-a this one. (pause) Its not comfortable!
(Later, when trimming nails).
M: We don’t need to trim that nail (referring to her sucking thumb, which always seems to be short)
S: Because I suck it! (Then referring to the other thumb) I don’t usually suck this one, I usually suck the other one!

(Maybe its normal for her age, but it still somewhat surprises me when she uses big words like “comfortable” and “usually”.)

*  *  *

Nathan: (As if making a proclamation) Its Mowing Day!
Daddy: Nathan, Uncle David just mowed our yard on Monday.  What do you mean its mowing day?
N: I need to mow out there (pointing to front yard) with my little mower.  (Turning around to walk away) If you need me, you can open the window and talk to me.
N: (A minute later, he knocks on the window) You need to open the window!
Mommy: Nathan, I'm not going to leave the window open right now.  Its warm outside and cool inside and we don't want all the cool air to go outside.  I can leave the front door open and if you need anything you can open the storm door and ask.
N: Ok...well... if YOU need ME then you can open the door and talk to me.

(Nathan, thanks for making sure I can find you if I need you!)

*  *  *

Sarah: My painting is not dry.  After it dries I will pick it up and hand it to Nathan and he will be de-why-ted to have it.
Mommy: Delighted?! (Surprised at her new word.)
Sarah: Yes.  Happy.  He will be happy to have it!
(Thanks for defining "delighted" for me sweet girl!)

1 comment:

  1. From Aunt Karen: love these little snapshots of conversations! Their sentence structure is amazing and vocabulary is above age for sure. Who says 'delighted' these days? Made me smile. Sounds so southern. ;) cant't wait to get to know Sarah better and have her know and remember me. Love to all.

    ReplyDelete