And then the next day was the anniversary present...

Actually, the timing just happened to work out that we closed on our house the day after our anniversary. It was definitely a long a bumpy road towards home ownership. I think I have a draft post documenting the journey somewhere...
The next day we headed over to the new house in the afternoon. We had an inaugural swim in the pool - more swimming then this was done, just no pictures.
We had our first meal in the house, picnic-style on the floor.
Since then lots of work has been going on. The guys busted out a fire place from the master bedroom. (It was not structurally sound, so we would either have to reinforce the floor and repair or demo. Since it severely limited furniture placement and also Brian and I could never envision us enjoying a fire in our bedroom, demo it was!)
Nathan was an incredible worker, helping clean up all the bricks and mortar that Brian tore up! Sarah also helped some, but wasn't quite as single-minded in her work as her older brother!

We finally got the "TV" rigged up at the new house to buy the adults a bit more time to work. (This is the fireplace in the den, the one we actually plan on using.)
Thanks to Nana (though I helped a little), the main floor of the house has almost completely been repainted. Then in the past few days we picked out the paint colors for the kids' rooms and painted those rooms with the kids' "help". Nathan picked green for his room...
... and Sarah picked purple.
We are replacing the carpets before we move in, which is the only reason the kids were allowed to help paint. Even so, it was still quite a stressful experience trying to keep them from getting paint EVERYWHERE, though now that its done I can say I'm glad we let them help. Nana commented that she was impressed with my patience with the kids... but I know she only thought so since she couldn't hear my internal monologue: "No! Stop, stop, STOP! AHHH, PAINT EVERYWHERE! SET THE BRUSH DOWN AND PLEASE. JUST. LEAVE!!"
There's also been significant work going on in the garage - paneling pulled down, shelving demoed, and lots of electrical work has gone on in anticipation of new drywall going up tomorrow.
So the major things we are waiting on before we move in is a new pool fence and new carpeting on the second floor. Carpet goes in next week and the pool fence the week after that, so hopefully we will be moving in early July. I guess that means I'm going to need to start packing sometime...











Congrats Katie and Brian!!! We started looking ourselves since we finally closed on the house in Winston!!
ReplyDelete