Saturday, October 15, 2011

Potty Progress

A few new things to report on this slow-as-molasses route I’m taking with Nathan toward potty training…

About two weeks ago, Nathan and I went on our first outing with him wearing big boy underwear.  We were going to playgroup, which I figured was a pretty safe bet in that we would have a potty easily accessible the whole time.  We did stop at the post office on our way to playgroup, then hit the bathroom as soon as we got to baby Luke’s house (I brought along his little red potty just to help things go smoothly).  Then I set my timer and had Nathan stop playing and go with me to the potty every 30-45 minutes.  We made it home and proudly announced to Daddy that Nathan stayed dry the whole morning!

The next day, Nathan suddenly decided that he was done with sitting down to pee, he wanted to stand up!  After I made quite a few attempts over the next few days trying to keep him from peeing all over the floor, wall, cabinet, etc., I passed the baton to Brian.  I figured Brian would have a much better idea how to teach Nathan to “aim” then I would.  Thankfully the timing was perfect and Brian had just started a week of vacation, perfect for temporarily taking over potty duties. 

Brian’s approach was to convince Nathan to start going in the big potty – hooray!  So now we have a stool permanently stationed in front of the big toilet for Nathan!

Even with all this good news, the fact is that Nathan is still in diapers for most of the time most days.  And with my due date less then 5 weeks away (hooray and yikes at the same time!),  I am still comfortable letting him take the lead on any progress we do or don’t make during that time.  As I think I mentioned in a previous post, I know that any baby steps taken now will make the final process that much easier whenever Nathan or I decide to commit to getting him fully potty trained.  I’m just proud of how well and how far my little boy has come so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment