Tuesday, September 4, 2012

First Day of Preschool!

Update: I forgot to mention that Nathan wass wearing his favorite red dinosaur shirt (and his favorite Diego underwear) for his first day of school. And now, for the rest of the first day story... When I picked him up, he seemed super cheerful and it sounded like he had a good time. I got various sporadic pieces of information about the day: they had music class where he played the drums and stood (danced?) on a butterfly; he didn't get a sticker because he didn't go potty at school (even though he didn't want to potty at home because he said he wanted to go at school); he didn't sing any songs but they had storytime; they couldn't play outside because it was wet. Since then, he has alternately said he did not and did enjoy preschool. I anticipate Thursday's drop off to be even more traumatic, but I hope that things will get better from there.

Now that its finally here, I can't believe its finally here! We all experienced our first "first day of school" today as I sent Nathan off to 2 1/2 year preschool this morning.


The morning was alternately extremely frustrating (Nathan didn't want to eat breakfast, get dressed, go potty, or brush his teeth) and surprisingly smooth going (he cooperated SO WELL with the picture taking this morning).


He even wanted to include Sarah in the pictures at home, and then requested that I also take pictures at school. But by the time we made it to school, he was already getting nervous about it.

When it came time for him to actually go into class, we did have the crying/kicking/screaming meltdown that I had feared. We had been talking all week about being brave, no fussing, and that Mommy always comes back, but its always easier to discuss academically then to put into practice. So I just pray that he wasn't upset for too long before he found the puzzles or little panda figures that he played with during the open house. I really think that he'll enjoy preschool and I know I'm thankful for a break during the week (especially if Sarah takes some good morning naps for me!) So I pray for courage and success for you, son of mine, as you embark on your first year of school, with many more to follow!

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I hope it got better! Please put in a comment or addendum to let us know! Gran

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Aunt Karen: Precious beyond words! I love the front step picture of Nathan next to his sign. How clever are you??? Then fast forward to the reality of school. The look on Nathan's face is priceless! Rough beginnings are expected and bfore you know it he has accepted the new phase and schedule. He'll make friends quickly I'm sure. Love to all.

    ReplyDelete