Wednesday, April 3, 2013

My 5k Race and An Easter Festival

I ran! The whole way! And made pretty good time doing it (for three weeks of training)! The number emblazoned into my memory as I crossed the finish line was 30:12, but later I found out my official time was 30:17, both giving me a 9:45 mile pace. I did NOT fall down or almost trample someone else at the starting line (though I saw it happen beside me), I ran the whole course and even speed-ed up a little on one of the hills (gack, there were some rough ones in the second half of the course). And since I was just ready for the race to be over, I almost sprinted down the home stretch. (There was a professional photographer at this point in the race, but not sure when/if I'll see any pictures I may have been in, but I'm sure they're super flattering!)

Unfortunately between my finishing faster then I anticipated and Brian's trouble finding parking, I didn't see him and the kids at the finish line cheering me on (though there were more people cheering at the finish line then I had expected so there was a chance that I may not have seen them anyways).  They were actually walking up a side street toward the finish line and did see me as I ran past.

I wanted to commemorate my first 5k by a picture with my two biggest fans.  Unfortunately, first I got a picture with moody child...



...and then goofy child with a stick-your-tongue-out sidekick.

For some reason I have this super close shot of Nathan, which shows in great detail his trip-to-the-emergency-room scar and re-growing (hooray!) eyebrow.


After the race, there was an Easter festival at the baseball park where the race was held, so we decided to spend a fun family morning together.  Nathan was super excited about the inflatable obstacle course...




...and then he and Sarah both enjoyed riding the carousel (though on his first ride, Nathan decided he wanted to sit on the bench rather then ride on the animals). 


Next we went down on the field for the bunny run (Nathan chose not to participate) and then the eagerly anticipated Easter egg hunt.  It was ridiculous the number of eggs on that field - and this was just for the three and under crowd!  Both kids waited patiently for many minutes at the caution tape for the egg hunt to start.  As expected, there was chaos when they let the kids go, so we let ours pick up 10-15 eggs before we called it quits.  The eggs ended up being filled with little toys and stickers, and the biggest hit with the kids were the two monkey tattoos which they were both eager for me to apply to their hands/arms after we got home.


Then we brilliantly headed back up to the inflatables while the bigger kids were having their egg hunts, allowing Nathan and Sarah to have exclusive use of this inflatable for quite a while!



Sarah just had a blast!  I was so pumped for her because I didn't think she'd have a chance to play with so many big kids around.  While we had the inflatable to ourselves, she had a wonderful time running around and then playing catch with the super nice inflatable attendant.


Nathan made a reverse basket! (up through the bottom of the net)


Then we closed our day out with three back-to-back rides on the carousel.  Let me just say that trying to take pictures and/or videos while on a carousel is a recipe for nausea - both Brian and I will attest to that!

We did take some videos during the Easter egg hunt and the carousel ride, but I haven't even looked at them yet to see if we got any good footage. So they may or may not make it up here eventually. Pictures still to come: church Easter egg hunt, home Easter egg hunt and dying eggs!

2 comments:

  1. Great story telling and fabulous pictures! I wonder if the time at the sports gymnasium prepared Nathan for all that fun! I am so glad you're giving the children so many fun experiences and documenting them.
    GranFran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the race!! Can't believe how big they are getting!

    ReplyDelete