One of my Boston friends wrote on her blog that we are in the "grit-your-teeth phase" of winter. I feel like that pretty aptly describes how I feel right now, though if the snow would just melt and stay gone that would make life significantly easier. But she says that here in Boston we have at least six more weeks of winter, so there goes my hopes that winter was close to over.
However with the snow we have had some fun moments with the kids, so here are some videos from the different activities we've enjoyed over the past few weeks.
We went sledding again. This time, unfortunately, Sarah was fussy from the moment we left the house. It started because she needed to go potty and didn't want to go in her diaper (unfortunately we realized this halfway to the sledding area, so finally, I think, I convinced her that using her diaper would be ok). However when we got to our sledding hill she continued her fussing. I think she went on one or two runs, but after that was just laying down crying/whimpering/angry about life. After a few runs down the hill myself I decided she and I should cut our losses and head home. I couldn't carry her all the way home, so the times I made her walk she was crying like her feet were hurting, so I decided her feet were probably cold. And when we got home and her feet were like ice cubes in her boots, I felt terrible but glad I decided to bring her on home. I got her bundled up under a thick blanket on the couch, gave her a snack and milk (she was definitely hungry too) and then she nodded off to sleep. Yep, we had hit the trifecta for an unhappy kid - cold, tired and hungry! (We did order her some wool socks that she wore for the rest of the snow activities I'm documenting here, which definitely made a big difference. She must have poor circulation in her extremities like me and Pawpaw and my Grammy.)
Nathan and Daddy, however, stayed for over an hour and had lots of fun sledding together. Daddy took these videos during two sledding runs with Nathan, so if jerky camera motion makes you sick, just skip this video.
One morning, between blizzards, the kids and I headed down to the car to clear off the accumulated ice/snow before the next round was due to start that afternoon. It actually didn't take me long to clear off the car, but the kids were having so much fun "helping" me "shovel out the car" that I just sat down and let them play for a while. Here they are, hard at work.
And speaking of hard work, here is the video that Nathan asked me to take of him helping to shovel at church.
This past Thursday afternoon the temperature reached into the upper 40s, but with snow on the ground everywhere I wasn't sure where to take the kids to burn off some energy. I decided we should scooter down to town hall (right next to the library) which had a large, well-cleared paved area where I figured the kids could scooter around for a while. They had also asked me to dress them in their snowpants, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that they spent the whole time climbing around and jumping in the snow.
Back To School Night - Germantown Hills, IL (2016)
10 years ago




what a lot of fun! Gran
ReplyDelete