*Sigh* It has been one of those days...
It started out with Nathan waking up in the middle of the night last night, which would have been fine except after I fed him, he decided he just wasn't sleepy. He was awake for a little over 45 minutes before he went back to sleep, but I was pretty frustrated and it took me a long time to get back to sleep (I was frustrated because he has been awake in the middle of the night lots of nights lately, lasting from 45 minutes to 2 hours, and I'm not sure why or what to do).
This morning I heard him between 6:15 and 6:30, but Brian went in the room since he was up and I went back to sleep. Turns out that Nathan had leaked through his diaper AGAIN, so Brian had to change him and the diaper. Sunday night he had woken up in the middle of the night wet, so I had bought different diapers yesterday hoping they would take care of the problem. Looks like we are going to have to double-diaper or buy absorbent inserts to put in his diapers, because Nathan has leaked out of everything on the market in his size. Anyways, Nathan woke me up again at 7:00 and I was up for the day, but frustrated about the diaper situation.
When Nathan went down for his first nap, I decided to nap also since I haven't slept well the previous few nights and didn't get a nap yesterday. Well, today wasn't my day either. I had trouble falling back asleep and then Nathan woke up after only about 35 minutes of sleep (usually he sleeps 1:20). By this point I was tired and grumpy. Then as I tried to feed Nathan, he got really fussy and then started straining - he had a small BM, but it was the first time he had pooped in 5 days! Great, he's constipated from the rice cereal!
While Nathan took his next nap, I called Brian and pediatrician. After talking to them both, the plan was for me to go to the store and buy white grape juice (per the pediatrician) and pears (per my internet research to be his next solid food), and I had already decided no more rice cereal for Nathan.
After Nathan's nap (another short one), we ran to the store to get some supplies. I bought pears and white grape juice. I didn't buy the baby white grape juice (with the ped's approval), but when we got home, I realized that the grape juice that I had bought was actually apple/grape juice. Since I was already introducing pears as his new solid, I was reluctant to introduce two other new fruits at the same time, so now I have a whole bottle of apple/grape juice for me and Brian to drink and no juice for Nathan. Great.
After Nathan ate his pears (with less excitement then I expected given they are much tastier then the rice cereal), I decided that we would sit outside on the swing and enjoy the nice day. As I pulled the sunporch door closed behind me, I realized that I had turned the lock on the inside of the door handle. I had locked us out!! I went around the house and checked the doors and windows, but I was stuck with no spare key. Thankfully the neighbors were home and Matt, a fellow resident, drove up to the hospital and met Brian to get his key. But, really, could the day get any worse?
Yes it could. After we got back inside I checked Nathan's diaper and he had a little smear. As I changed him, he started crying and pooped more, but he was definitely in pain. My poor boy!! All I could do was try to comfort him until it was over.
But from there, the day did get better. Nathan ate and took a long nap and so did I. When Brian got home, he gave him a glycerin suppository to help move things along, so hopefully Nathan feels MUCH better and maybe he will sleep better too.
What I learned today:
1. I won't use rice cereal as a first food for my next child.
2. Its always important to have a hida-key.
3. Always double check the product label if you go to the store to purchase a very specific product.
It started out with Nathan waking up in the middle of the night last night, which would have been fine except after I fed him, he decided he just wasn't sleepy. He was awake for a little over 45 minutes before he went back to sleep, but I was pretty frustrated and it took me a long time to get back to sleep (I was frustrated because he has been awake in the middle of the night lots of nights lately, lasting from 45 minutes to 2 hours, and I'm not sure why or what to do).
This morning I heard him between 6:15 and 6:30, but Brian went in the room since he was up and I went back to sleep. Turns out that Nathan had leaked through his diaper AGAIN, so Brian had to change him and the diaper. Sunday night he had woken up in the middle of the night wet, so I had bought different diapers yesterday hoping they would take care of the problem. Looks like we are going to have to double-diaper or buy absorbent inserts to put in his diapers, because Nathan has leaked out of everything on the market in his size. Anyways, Nathan woke me up again at 7:00 and I was up for the day, but frustrated about the diaper situation.
When Nathan went down for his first nap, I decided to nap also since I haven't slept well the previous few nights and didn't get a nap yesterday. Well, today wasn't my day either. I had trouble falling back asleep and then Nathan woke up after only about 35 minutes of sleep (usually he sleeps 1:20). By this point I was tired and grumpy. Then as I tried to feed Nathan, he got really fussy and then started straining - he had a small BM, but it was the first time he had pooped in 5 days! Great, he's constipated from the rice cereal!
While Nathan took his next nap, I called Brian and pediatrician. After talking to them both, the plan was for me to go to the store and buy white grape juice (per the pediatrician) and pears (per my internet research to be his next solid food), and I had already decided no more rice cereal for Nathan.
After Nathan's nap (another short one), we ran to the store to get some supplies. I bought pears and white grape juice. I didn't buy the baby white grape juice (with the ped's approval), but when we got home, I realized that the grape juice that I had bought was actually apple/grape juice. Since I was already introducing pears as his new solid, I was reluctant to introduce two other new fruits at the same time, so now I have a whole bottle of apple/grape juice for me and Brian to drink and no juice for Nathan. Great.
After Nathan ate his pears (with less excitement then I expected given they are much tastier then the rice cereal), I decided that we would sit outside on the swing and enjoy the nice day. As I pulled the sunporch door closed behind me, I realized that I had turned the lock on the inside of the door handle. I had locked us out!! I went around the house and checked the doors and windows, but I was stuck with no spare key. Thankfully the neighbors were home and Matt, a fellow resident, drove up to the hospital and met Brian to get his key. But, really, could the day get any worse?
Yes it could. After we got back inside I checked Nathan's diaper and he had a little smear. As I changed him, he started crying and pooped more, but he was definitely in pain. My poor boy!! All I could do was try to comfort him until it was over.
But from there, the day did get better. Nathan ate and took a long nap and so did I. When Brian got home, he gave him a glycerin suppository to help move things along, so hopefully Nathan feels MUCH better and maybe he will sleep better too.
What I learned today:
1. I won't use rice cereal as a first food for my next child.
2. Its always important to have a hida-key.
3. Always double check the product label if you go to the store to purchase a very specific product.
Ok, on a lighter note, here are a few videos of Nathan and his typical tummy time these days. He is scooting around and he loves to kick his legs and bang them on the floor. He also is working on his dance moves (ie. the worm).




Poor thing! I know you are probably exhausted. Just be thankful that you don't have to get up and go to work the next day. It has to get better, it will! Hopefully giving him more fruit will also help "move things along". We'll be praying for you and let me know if I can help in any way. Would love to keep Nathan one night for you and Brian to have a date, if you want. Just let me know! :)
ReplyDeleteGran says: PawPaw and I thought of the book we used to read to you and Jimmy: "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day". Excerpt: I went to bed with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair...
ReplyDelete