Monday, April 18, 2011

An Evening at the Park

A week ago Friday, we had a fabulous family outing to Tanglewood Park. Brian was post-call on Friday, which gave him an even longer weekend then usual, so I mentioned that I would love to do something fun and different as a family. It was BEAUTIFUL on Friday so we decided to pack a picnic dinner and investigate a toddler playground at Tanglewood that I had heard about from other moms in my playgroup.

The toddler playground was fantastic. Everything was relatively low to the ground, lots of little slides and steering wheels, a sandbox and swings. Nathan's favorite attraction turned out to be the biggest slide, but since it was enclosed and we didn't have to worry about Nathan falling off the sides, Brian and I were comfortable letting Nathan slide down by himself.


Of course, Daddy was at the bottom as the catcher...


...and I was up on the top side making sure he didn't accidentally fall.


Nathan looks kind of a dazed look here, but he really loved it and probably went down the slide 15 times before we called it quits.

As it was got to be dinner time, we headed back to the car and drove over to investigate the other playground area which was near the lake. We ended up sitting on a blanket by the lake to eat dinner and Nathan ate his first sandwich! Soybutter and strawberry jelly - yummy, right? (We have decided not to give Nathan peanut butter until he's 2, so this was what I bought to try instead. Its... marginal, in my opinion.) Actually the sandwich was a success, partially due to the fact that Nathan was pretty hungry by the time we actually started eating. We spent quite a while by the lake, watching the ducks and enjoying the beautiful scenery and lovely weather. What a wonderful evening with my two favorite guys!

2 comments:

  1. PaPaw saw the blog 1st and we loved reading about your outing! May you have many more fun times there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have great memories of family picnics in Germany, San Antonio, DeRidder, Fayetteville, and Fort Sill. I was talking to one of my HQ staff who was at Ft. Sill a couple of weeks ago and talked about Mount Scott and the Wildlife Preserve. Remember climbing the rocks!! :) Not many memories after Ft Sill, but it is fun to take small children for picnics at parks and fun stops.
    Love PaPaw

    ReplyDelete