Monday, October 14, 2013

The Days of Our Lives (Oct 6-12)

Sunday - We decided to skip church to go leaf peeping in Maine. Unfortunately it was a gloomy day and we were way too early in the month to see peak fall colors, but we had a memorable trip.  Dedicated post to come.  That evening Nana began helping me with my "little" project of altering many of Sarah's pants so they wouldn't fall off her waist - a "little" project that she ended up working on for most of the week.

Monday - Brian was back at work and the kids and I spent the morning at home with the grands.  When Nana put the kids down for nap I went out and ran errands to prepare for the upcoming wedding, birthdays and Halloween.  Brian got home before 5:00 and we decided to go out to eat at Bottega di Capri where we tried the manacotti, fettuccine carbonara, bowties with marinara sauce and an Italian sub.  I began my sewing project of matching Halloween costumes for the kids. 

Tuesday - Nathan wanted to take Nana and Grand Dad to one of our museums, so we all took the T to the Aquarium and had a great visit.  Afterwards we ate lunch at our typical spot near the fountains.  Creamy Italian chicken over rice for dinner.  Brian and I also got an amazing opportunity to attend a performance at the Boston Symphony Orchestra with couple from church who had extra tickets and we saw Yo-Yo Ma perform! He graduated from Harvard and lives in Cambridge, so he's a local guy.

Watching the wave tank - we all were fascinated!


We stopped to watch the seals and sea lions right before we left the aquarium.  Nathan was very grumpy by this point because he had told us multiple times his tummy was hungry and that he was ready to leave!

Our picnic lunch.  It was a cool day made even cooler by the wind off the ocean, but we found a sheltered spot where it was warm in the sun.

The view from our picnic spot of the fountains and Boston skyline.

Brian and I heading out to the symphony. 

Wednesday - Since all of our apple picking apples had been completely consumed, the kids and I took Nana and Grand Dad with us back to Honey Pot Hill for round #2.  We got a bushel of produce to spit between all of us, mostly Courtland apples and some pears (per Nathan's request). More pictures to share later.

Thursday - We skipped library storytime to spend the morning with Nana and Granddad. While they took Nathan and Sarah for a walk and to watch the T's, I stayed in the apartment and made bread.  After they got back, Sarah fell asleep on her mattress on the floor before 11:00 am and she didn't want to get up for lunch at 11:20, so I let her sleep hoping she would take a super long nap (she had been pretty fussy this week, I'm sure partly because all of our activities meant skipped/shortened naps).  No such luck.  But Nathan didn't take a nap either, so as soon as the bread was out of the oven we all headed to the car to investigate a new (and supposedly great) Goodwill.  I found quite a few nice clothing items to buy, Grand Dad got a new plumbers snake, Nana found a few clothes for Nathan and the kids each picked out a little toy for themselves.  We got stuck in terrible Boston traffic on the way home, which reminded me why I usually stick close to home in the afternoon.  Nana and Grand Dad treated the kids to pizza from the Village Pizza House while Brian and I went out on another date night to The Paramont (restaurant) in Beacon Hill where Brian had a huge cheeseburger and I had delicious steak tacos with amazing cilantro-lime crema (which was so good I could have eaten with a spoon!).  We strolled around Boston Common then through the city to look for dessert when we got sidetracked at Marshalls (I bought a dress for the wedding and Brian a new pair of shoes).  Since we didn't get dessert, we headed back home to try the Rhubarb Strawberry Crumble I had also made earlier in the day (good, but would have been better with way more strawberries - unfortunately lots of mine had gone bad and had to be thrown away when I was making the cobbler).

Friday - Brian had a call day today, which meant he wasn't due to the hospital until 3:00pm, so we caught a Boston Duck Tour at the Museum of Science.  It was fun and entertaining but a bit overwhelming trying to listen to the guide and see everything and also pay attention to how everything in downtown Boston is laid out (I know how to get lots of places via the T, but since I never drive downtown I don't have a good idea of how some of it fits together at street level). Italian sausage sauce with homemade focaccia bread for dinner.

While we were waiting to board the Duck Tour, Nana bought Nathan and Sarah two smashed pennies.  Nathan's decided that he is going to collect smashed pennies!

The kids also played in the space capsule. 

Here we are on the Duck Tour - you may be able to see me with the camera in front of my face in the next-to-last row, then behind me are Nathan, Nana and Grand Dad and one row in front is Daddy (Sarah was beside me so you can't see her).

I didn't take many pictures on the Duck Tour since we have gone/plan to go to most of the places we drove by (and I figure I'll get better picture when I'm not in a moving vehicle), but this view of the Esplanade and part of the city skyline most likely won't be repeated!

Nathan got to "drive" the Duck Boat while we were on the Charles River! 

That afternoon the kids and I got a special surprise - Joe, the Edible Arrangements delivery guy that we befriended a few weeks ago, gave us some chocolate covered strawberries to enjoy.  And boy did the kids enjoy them!


Saturday - We had tentative plans to go to a Cranberry Harvest Festival depending on how Brian's shift went, and since he luckily got 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep we decided to go for it!  It was a fun all-day activity for the family.  Separate post with pictures to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment