We decided our best option would be to hop the T out of town, right where our beloved D line crossed the marathon route and 10 miles from the finish. We hoped that far out the crowd wouldn't be multiple-people deep, like it would have been if we walked to the course from our house (closer to mile 23/24). We were right, though it took us a little walking to find our perfect observation point, which ended up being right next to the mile 17 water station. Again, couldn't have planned this better if we had tried, because here the runners were doing interesting things in addition to running - like drinking and throwing their cups on the ground ("Mommy, why aren't they throwing their cups away in the trash can? Whose going to clean up all those cups?" were two of Nathan's concerns), pouring water over their heads and bodies (Nathan's favorite) and sometimes even stopping (one runner asked me to hold his water cup while he opened an energy gel packet).
And though it really wasn't a huge priority, we ended up getting situated at our vantage point right before the elite men ran by (some of the elite women and other earlier starters were already running by at this point as well). Here's the man that was in the lead at mile 17 and ended up winning the race, Meb Keflezighi, the first American man to win the race since 1983! I cannot even fathom running 26 miles, let alone being recorded while doing it!
The rest of the elite men pack, running a little bit behind Meb.
We also got to see and cheer on runner teams like this. Gosh, I'm starting to cry again right now, and during the race I was desperately wiping tears from my eyes as we saw a few of these runner teams pass. I can only hold in great esteem these runners (who I assumed were parents of the disabled individuals) who dedicate innumerable hours to training with their partners to enable them to be a part of an amazing event like this.
This is self-less love and incredible dedication. So inspiring!
Like I said, Brian and I weren't sure how long the kids would last watching the race, but they were pretty enthralled.
Nathan even had a better vantage point for a while.
And then the biggest bonus, getting to see and cheer on John Little, our church friend from Knoxville who was here running his first (and last, he says) Boston Marathon (in the middle, orange Vol Power shirt, dark baseball cap and sunglasses).
I was so busy snapping pictures I forgot to cheer, but thankfully Brian had the presence of mind to yell out some encouragement to him, which was rewarded with a thumbs-up from John.

Right after John ran by we packed up the kids for a trip home since we were already pushing past lunch and into naptime. Here was the view down the road as we left. What a crazy sea of humanity!
It was so cool to be a part of the marathon experience. The incredible emotions I felt joining with the other bystanders in cheering on the runners... I guess it was a very positive experience of "group mind" that its just hard for me to put into words. Bottom line, totally an incredible experience and I'm so thankful we got a chance to participate in this Boston tradition. And even more thankful that it was a safe and happy day for everyone involved!














What a great day! And great that you spotted and photographed John! Did you remember PawPaw's middle name is Newton? Gran
ReplyDeleteHi, guys! What a great day you had cheering for the marathon runners. I've never run a full marathon, but I did run a half-marathon a few years ago, and I can tell you ... even though I have NO idea who the people were on the side of the road, every cheer and clap and whistle helped me keep running. Your support really made a difference for everyone you cheered. Thank you! Come to Winston-Salem sometime to see us when you head back South! Lee Ann and Becky Lynn
ReplyDelete