Nathan's always had a love/hate relationship with his feet, socks and shoes. He'll sit and try to put a sock or a shoe on his own feet, then gets frustrated when he can't get it on, but as soon as I help him get it on, he's irritated and wants it off! He's become a pro at pulling off his own socks and gets such joy out of it. When its time to leave the house, sometimes the sock and shoe application goes smoothly and sometimes we end up wrestling over the second sock and shoe. The only order that works is sock, shoe, sock, shoe - it prevents him from pulling off the first sock while the second one is going on. And after our outings, the first order of business is for Nathan to plunk down on the floor and pull shoes and socks off.
Yesterday was one of the "not smooth" days. The first foot went well, but we wrestled over the second. I started wondering why the first goes so smoothly and its always the second that is torture. Nathan usually "helps" me by holding onto a sock or shoe as we get started... I jumped up and grabbed an extra pair of socks, and while Nathan kept a hold of his original sock, the new pair was applied quickly and efficiently AND with minimal fuss! I had solved the puzzle! Nathan wasn't mad about putting ON the second sock/shoe, he was mad that I took it away from him! So for the handful of sock/shoe applications since yesterday, Nathan, with a sock in hand, did great! So I'll try to carry an extra one with me for emergencies... and I guess I also figured out what to do with remaining sock after the dryer eats its mate!
* * * * * * *
A year ago our little boy was in the 75th percentile for his length, weight and head size, and we were worried about the flat spot on his head!




No comments:
Post a Comment