Wednesday, October 3, 2012

And Fellowship is in...

BOSTON!!!  Brian matched to the pediatric anesthesia program at Boston Children's Hospital, affiliated with Harvard Medical School.

We are excited and nervous and thankful and scared and pumped for the journey ahead and concerned about the incredibly demanding program.  But we believe that God has a plan for us there, especially since it will be a challenging year (or two!) for our family!  The program starts summer of 2013 (July, August or September, we don't know which yet) and is a year long.  Brian may decide to stay for up to a year of additional training in pediatric hearts. 

So, some facts (as I'm busy burning up Google and Google Maps to find out about our new lives!):
  • The hospital is in the Brookline neighborhood of Boston, near Fenway Park (where the Red Socks play).  The address is 300 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115.  We hope to live pretty near the hospital, but it may be prohibitively expensive. 
  • Driving distance from Knoxville, TN: 17 hours, or 930 miles
  • Driving distance from Bowie, MD: 8 hours or 430 miles
  • Driving distance from Winston-Salem, NC: 14 hours, or 780 miles
  • Distance from New York City: a little over 4 hours, by car or train
  • The closest Wal-Mart is 20-30 minutes away (by car, no traffic).
  • The closest Target is 10-15 minutes away (by car, no traffic).
I'm really pretty excited about the whole adventure, but I almost feel like we are moving to a foreign country since I anticipate the urban lifestyle will be so different from what I've always known.

2 comments:

  1. Karen! Carroll and I will pick you up for our road trip to see the children! We'll figure out exact dates later on! Whee!
    GranFran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Boston is not as far away as Germany, where we moved to after my residency!!
    Yes, I agree that God has a plan for Brian and you and your family. It will be exciting to watch that unfold!!
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete