Nathan went to the dentist this morning for the first time and I was impressed with how well he did. I'll let him tell you in his own words, then add a little bit at the end. (Oh, and while you're listening to me and Nathan talk, keep your eyes on Sarah!)
First, Sarah. Yep, she's been standing up on her own a lot lately, looking so proud of herself. But she's still not confident enough to take a step unless Brian or I are right there in front of her. I seem to remember that Nathan didn't figure out how to stand up on his own until after he started walking, while Sarah's doing it the opposite!
So I've been prepping Nathan for a few days, since that's the best way to (hopefully) get him to cooperate with something new or uncomfortable for him. Trying to surprise him is the sure-fire way to have a screaming, thrashing, angry little boy to deal with. We had talked about sitting in a big, special chair and saying "ahhh" for the dentist while she looks in your mouth and taps your teeth. We talked about that she might brush his teeth (he actually didn't get a cleaning this time, which was probably a good thing). We looked up Dr. Gina's photo and talked a lot about her this morning. We talked about how LOTS of our friends (most of playgroup!) had already been to see Dr. Gina. We talked about being brave even if we were a little scared. So that was all good. Unfortunately I didn't know the key detail that this dentist (and maybe all pediatriac dentists?) had tables for the kids to lay down on rather then chairs to sit in.
At the office, Nathan was definitely a bit hesitant when we got called back from the waiting room but didn't try to bolt (unlike preschool and Sunday school this past week, grrr). Then he did fine as the dental assistant showed him all the tools Dr. Gina was going to use. But when he found out that he needed to lay on the table for Dr. Gina to shine her "flashlight" into his mouth and count his teeth, he did freak out a little. But I reminded him about being brave and he cooperated with the rest of the exam pretty well, but I know he was glad when it was over. As I said, no cleaning today and also no x-rays until all his molars are in a touching. Which, by the way, Dr. Gina said all 4 of his two year molars have (finally) broken through the gums and are on their way in. Only a year or so late! But the report was overall good, no cavities, but I need to be better about brushing at the gum line and we need to start flossing his teeth. I've very recently handed over nighttime oral hygiene to Daddy, so that may become his specialty!
While I was downloading the dentist video from my Ipod, I found these other videos I had taken of the kids about a month ago at the mall. Nathan LOVES going to the mall, so knowing our days are somewhat limited, I wanted to get some memories recorded. The first is of the kids playing in the mall playground, and the second is of them playing in their favorite coin-operated car. (For the record, I NEVER put money in those things. But once a co-resident of Brian's was at the mall with her two children and she paid for a ride for her daughter and Nathan. He reminds me of that momentus occasion EVERY TIME.)
In this next video, don't be alarmed, I caught Sarah both times as she fell out of the car. Then I decided it was wiser to put away my Ipod and just monitor the safety of my daughter!
Back To School Night - Germantown Hills, IL (2016)
10 years ago




SO glad I peeked before hopping into bed! Great vids! GranFran
ReplyDelete