(FYI, Booksneeze.com offers free Christian books to people who will read and review the book on their blog and a consumer site such as Amazon. This is my first review - woohoo!)
The “Voices of the Faithful” book contains daily devotionals written by Christian missionaries from around the world. Each day’s reading begins with a scripture related to the devotional topic (various translations are used), followed by the missionary’s devotional and ends with a prayer. Each month of devotions has a different theme (“Be Encouraged”, “Prayer, The Priority”, “Jesus, The Sacrificial Lamb”).
At the time of writing this review, I have only read about 30 devotionals (10% of the book), however I have skipped around through the months so that I could read from each month’s themes. Though I loved the idea behind the book, I unfortunately didn’t get as much out of the readings as I hoped. My main disappointment is that I felt many of the devotionals sacrificed depth for the sake of brevity. Often I would finish the daily reading and think “That’s it?” I really wanted something that would challenge me, or cause me to want to dive into my Bible or meditate on a truth imparted by the devotional. I did not experience this with most of the daily readings. The devotionals I enjoyed the most shared stories of amazing ways God interceded to protect believers or to show His power to non-believers. These testimonies encouraged me as they reaffirmed my belief that God plays an active role in our lives. I do not, however, plan on completing the year with this devotional book.
I received this book free from the publisher through BookSneeze.com. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.
(FYI #2 - Even though I wasn't thrilled with this devo book, lots of people at Amazon gave it a 5 star rating. So if you think this may be a good book for you, let me know and I'll give/mail it to you!)
Back To School Night - Germantown Hills, IL (2016)
10 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment