Nathan had his 15 month checkup this week and we got some not-unexpected news: Nathan didn't grow much over these past three months. I, of course, realized this since he's still in 18 month shirts and 12 month pants (some of which are still too big at the waist and some of which I still have to roll up in the leg) that he's been in all winter long. He's not shrinking as far as absolute measurements, but he is falling off in the growth chart percentages. Here's what were at...
Height: 30.5in / 31% (12 months: 30.25in / 75%)
Weight: 22lb 2 oz / 17% (12 months: 21 lb 8.6 oz / 25-50%)
Head: 18.75in / 64% (12 months 18.5in / 75%)
Wow, I didn't realize how close his current stats were to his one year stats until just now. BUT, first of all, our pediatrician said that she wasn't concerned about Nathan's growth (good news). She did say she would be concerned if Nathan continues to fall off in the percentiles at his 18 month appointment. I discussed with her about trying to increase his caloric/protein/fat intake, and Brian and I may reconsider our "no juice" stance (maybe...). But she said that from her experience, kids around this age tend to settle into the percentiles for their body type, so we may just have a slender boy that isn't super tall.
I'm kind of surprised, in a way, that Nathan didn't grow much. Not too long ago he was chowing down all day long and then waking up at night hungry too. I figured that would have been a growth spurt for sure, but it didn't seem to amount to much. Nathan is a pretty good eater, though Brian does sometimes kid me about the "rabbit food" that Nathan eats. He eats LOTS of dairy, does good with fruits and veggies, LOVES breads and is so-so on meat. However, I am going to reassess what I'm offering to him and already have a pamphlet on the way from my go-to registered dietitian about feeding toddlers (she's more well known by her other name, Grandmother!). I'm going to keep track of how much milk and water he takes in during the day for a while (today 1 2/3 cups whole milk and maybe 2oz water) and brainstorm new meal and snack ideas for my little boy. Hopefully all that will help put a little more meat on his bones, and maybe we'll have a real growth spurt just around the corner!
On the other hand, Nathan did start walking in the last three months. Don't they say that kids usually slim down after they start walking? And he is a busy little boy, with lots of work to do that takes him in and out of all rooms of the house. He doesn't like just to sit in one spot and play (unless he's with me in the kitchen and has entertainment), but maybe all toddlers are like that. Oh well, I'm not going to worry about it too much about the whole thing. The bottom line is that Nathan isn't shy about letting me know when he's hungry, but when he decides that he's done eating, he won't let another forkful past his lips!
Back To School Night - Germantown Hills, IL (2016)
10 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment