Thursday, June 30, 2011

No Job To Big for Nathan!

VBS is over! It was a big success, but also VERY tiring. With Brian on call today, I didn't get any extra "down" time, but he does have the long weekend off, so that's definitely something for the whole family to look forward to! One big upside to the past couple of days is that Brian (amazingly!) was able to get off work every day this week before I left for VBS (somewhere between 4:15 and 4:45), which meant I was able to leave Nathan with Brian rather then having nursery melt-downs to deal with every night. And it sounds like the boys got some good quality time together because of it!

At the beginning of the month, Brian had a week of vacation (which seems like years ago now, we've had a busy month!). One thing on our "to-do" list was to empty out the red room, aka the study, aka the upstairs junk room. We are turning it into a new room for Nathan, leaving the current nursery pretty much intact for baby #2. With lots of bags of stuff going to the Vietnam Vets and Goodwill, plus filling up our trash can and moving the remaining "stuff" to new places in the house, we were able to completely clear out the room. Well, with the exception of Brian's old dresser, which we are leaving in the room to be used for Nathan, and a little cabinet of my college days, which may still get the boot once we finalize the new furniture for the room. But, we couldn't have done it without help from Nathan!  No job to big for him!



So here are two pretty embarrassing "before" shots of the room that I took a few months ago:



And here is an "in progress" shot after Carroll (with only a tiny bit of help from me) primed, primed, painted and painted the room. Yes, it took 4 coats to cover that red! I'm pretty sure I would have never had the energy to do all that myself. Oh, and she gave the baseboards a fresh coat of paint as well!  The room is actually a very pretty blue, although its reading a little purple on my computer screen.


Since this picture was taken, we bought and put together a new-for-us crib for Nathan (which converts to a toddler bed when we're ready to take that plunge). We also brought up some carpet squares from downstairs to help with the echoy-ness of the room and installed some room-darkening roller shades. We hope to get more work done on it this weekend and move Nathan within the next two months.  We want to give him plenty of time to adjust to this little bit of new before all of our worlds are rocked when the new baby comes!

1 comment:

  1. From Aunt Karen: love Nathan's new room. Please remember that Gran and I can help when we come on the 15th. Looking forward to getting baby girl stuff and anything else you need! Can't wait! Perhaps I shouldn't commit Gran's time but it will be fun just being together...

    ReplyDelete