Two pretty impressive things happened today at the Kornrumpf household. Even more special was that Brian was around for both of them!
First up, NATHAN WENT PEE-PEE IN HIS POTTY!!
This was kind of unexpected because Nathan hasn't been sitting on his potty much lately. But he came to me a while after his nap (I had forgotten to change him when he got up so he was overdue for a diaper change at this point), and was pulling on the front of his diaper and told me "Pee-pee." I asked him if he had gone pee-pee and wanted his diaper changed, but then something made me say "...or do you want to go sit on your potty?" He headed for the bathroom, so I assumed that he had chosen the second option.
I took off his pants and his diaper and he did his thing: standing up, sitting down, wanting a square of toilet paper, asking me to say "Pat-a-cake". (For some reason this has become our ritual activity when he sits on the potty. We never do it any other time, but he really gets a kick out of it and it keeps him sitting down for a while). After he got up once to throw his TP square in the big toilet, I thought we were done, once again with nothing exciting to show for our efforts.
But Nathan wanted to sit down again and asked for another round of "Pat-a-cake". I started saying it really fast, and Nathan was laughing pretty hard when he got this funny look on his face and said "uh-oh." At this point he started reaching into the toilet between his legs and I had him stand up. And there, in the potty, along with the dust that had been accumulating over the past weeks and months, there was a puddle!!
I think my first shout of triumph scared him a little, and he looked pretty concerned - I really think he thought he did something wrong. But we called Daddy in to celebrate with us, then I let Nathan help me pour his potty into the big potty and told him to say "Bye-bye pee-pee" as he flushed. By this time he was smiling and (I hope) feeling proud of himself. For the next little while, I would catch his eye occasionally and say "Nathan went pee-pee in the potty. HOORAY!!!!"
Next big accomplishment: COUNTING!
A few days ago I started counting something and it sounded like Nathan started to count along with me "..two, three..." Brian was there and we both looked at each other, but then we couldn't get a repeat performance.
Tonight for dinner I gave Nathan peas. I'm not sure why I started this, but a long time back I began counting the number of peas that were in the bite that I was going to feed him. So tonight I was trying to get him to eat a little more dinner and scooped up a spoonful of peas for him. I said "lets count the peas"... and he did!! Brian and I stared at each other in amazement as he counted up to six or seven!
Of course, we decided we had to try and get video evidence of this impressive feat, and we did! So now you can be amazed with us!
I'm pretty sure he didn't say actually say "zero", but it sure sounded like it!
Back To School Night - Germantown Hills, IL (2016)
10 years ago




PawPaw says: "Katie used to say gee (hard g like in go) for 3...haven't thought about that for a long time!" Whoa! SO AMAZING! Thanks for sending the email so we'd read it tonight! Gran
ReplyDeleteFrom Aunt Karen: Yippee! Nathan is quite a remarkable little boy! I share in your excitement at his accomplishments yesterday. The are both a BIG deal. Congratulations, Nathan. You are growing up so fast...just in time to be that wonderful BIG brother I know you will become. Love to all.
ReplyDelete