One of the playgroups that Nathan and I are a part of visited a local fire station last Friday. I thought it was pretty neat to be so up close and personal with the fire trucks, though Nathan was a bit timid about exploring the giant truck. He didn't want to get inside the truck at all and wouldn't even stand on the back bumper of the truck for a picture. In fact, I'm somewhat surprised that he's touching the truck in the picture above. But Nathan did make friends with the firefighters, giving them "five".
After the other kids got their fill of playing in and around the truck, we went inside for a tour of the fire house. I found out that fire stations these days don't usually have pets (dalmatians were used by firefighters hundreds of years ago to locate the fires and to help find people trapped within the fires), but firehouses DO still have the fire pole to quickly access the garage from the second story. We even got a demonstration by the firefighters.
Ummmm, Nathan seems to be looking the wrong way. And since I was busy taking a picture, I'm not sure if he got to see the firefighter slide down the pole or not. Come on Mama, pay attention to the kid!
By the end of the tour, Nathan had decided he was comfortable enough to stand on the back of the fire truck and let me snap a few pictures. And as a bonus, we even a got a rare one of the two of us!
Nathan has been doing the whole finger-in-the-mouth thing a lot lately. I would say that he's teething, but we've been saying that for months and still no molars have popped through. But I guess eventually "he's teething" will be the correct explanation?!
From Aunt Karen: Be sure to take Nathan back on a regular basis to the Fire Station. Kevin always loved going there and he soon learned that firemen were his friends and there to protect them. Kevin even took a ride on the big truck. Do you have Fire Prevention Days there? Lots of fun and activities for children of all ages. Kevin still remmebers all the times we went. Love the pictures! What a big boy.
ReplyDelete