Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Wonderful Weekend Visit

This past weekend was a Friday/Sunday call weekend for Brian. That means he works a 24 hour shift from Friday morning to Saturday morning, then comes home and sleeps until Saturday afternoon. He goes back to sleep Saturday night so he can get up early and work from Sunday morning until Monday morning. Then he'll come home and sleep until Monday afternoon, is awake for a few hours, goes to bed and starts his regular work schedule on Tuesday morning. As you can imagine, this is not typically a fun weekend for anyone in the family. The schedule exhausts Brian for obvious reasons, I don't get much of a break and Nathan sees his Daddy even less then usual. But this past call weekend actually turned into a really good weekend!

The big bonus for Nathan and me was that we had two fun visitors to keep us entertained. Gran stayed with us from Thursday afternoon until Monday morning. And, for an extra special treat, Great Aunt Karen drove down to spend time with us from midday Friday until Sunday morning.  We all had a blast!

A few of my favorite memories:
  • We were talking about potential names for Baby Girl and nicknames in general, when Aunt Karen made a joke about calling someone "Mo".  Well, Nathan thought that was absolutely hilarious, and for the rest of the weekend would say "Mo!" and then crack himself (and the rest of us) up.
  • Aunt Karen called Nathan "goofy" for some reason and that also would cracked him up every time she would say it.
  • Nathan and I had been talking the week before about mosquitoes, and how they were outside and would bite Mommy and Nathan.  And he keeps seeing both Brian and me trying to smash mosquitoes and fruit flies between our hands and then check to see if we had killed anything.  So Nathan decided he would help us try to kill the bugs as well.  He started randomly clapping at the air, then peering and his hand and point to the "bug" that he just killed.  All of us, and especially Aunt Karen, found this hysterical (video to come soon).  And THEN at lunch or dinner this weekend, out of the corner of my eye I saw a spider descending from the ceiling to land on the hearth.  I took off my flip-flop and smashed him, which Nathan found hysterical and started imitating as well.
  • The weather this weekend was FABULOUS.  Instead of feeling like a sauna outside, it was actually pleasant!  So Gran, Aunt Karen, Nathan and I spent some time out in the back yard on Saturday afternoon and I got a few cute pictures of Nathan and Aunt Karen.  Unfortunately, these were basically the only ones I took the whole weekend.  Darn! 

  • Gran brought Nathan a flag!!  We had to go to the store to buy a flag pole, but Nathan was super excited about having our own flag at the house.  When we first put it up, he signed "thank you" to Gran (I don't remember if I prompted or if he did it on his own), but then every other time Nathan saw the flag after that, he would sign "thank you" again to Gran.  And he still is doing it days later!  And this morning, he actually gave the corner of the flag a kiss before we headed off in the car to run some errands.  This kid really loves his American flags!
  • We went to the mall on Saturday morning to buy some ADORABLE little girl clothes, and a few pairs of shorts for Nathan.  Then Aunt Karen treated Nathan and me to our first merry-go-round ride!  Nathan was pretty hesitant before the ride started going, but I think he ended up enjoying it.  Video of this also to come soon.
  • Saturday night after Nathan went to bed, Aunt Karen and Gran offered to stay at home while Brian and I went out to get ice cream.  Brian and I had a nice evening and really appreciated a little away time for just the two of us!
Well, no other specific memories come to mind right now, though I'm sure I've forgotten some good ones.  But we had lots of fun chatting and laughing and playing with Nathan, and just had an all-around wonderful visit!  And the icing on the cake was that Brian (amazingly) got a full night's sleep on Sunday night and ended up with a day "off" on Monday.  This was such a treat for Nathan and me, and allowed Gran to drive home a day early and spend the evening with PaPaw on his birthday!  So a special thanks to Gran and Aunt Karen for helping turn a potentially "blah" weekend into a fabulous one!

2 comments:

  1. Great post and pictures. Thanks for helping me remember all the fun! Gran

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Aunt Karen: It was my pleasure to spend the weekend with all of you. I had forgotten about Nathan clapping his hands to "kill" the bug and I laughed out loud all over again. That just cracks me up! Since he doesn't actually get a bug, I wonder if he thinks you and Brian are just playing and don't really get a bug either. He did react the word "Mo" and I don't remember either why I said it but maybe a short cut to some name we were talking about. And goofy is one of the family's favorite (and affectionate) names to call each other, well, actually it's more for Mark and Michael unless they are referring to me behind my back! It's probably because Nathan had not heard the words before so they sounded funny to him. He's so funny and I loved every minute we spent together. Glad that Brian got the day off after such a difficult schedule. Can't wait to visit again. I've been telling everyone about how Nathan loves flags! Such fun. Love to all.

    ReplyDelete