We are now over one full week into fellowship. Brian started work on August 1st, with Thursday and Friday of that week being orientation days. After a weekend off, this past week began his actual work in the OR, so I thought I'd give everyone a little update on how fellowship has started off.
The main determining factor for me of if it was a "good" day is the time that Brian walks in the door from work. We were fooled with Brian getting home at 5:00 on Monday, because for the rest of the week his arrival times were 6:45 (I tried to hold dinner, but finally the kids and I ate around 6:30), 7:15, 7:00 and 7:45. That meant he was home for dinner for one out of five evenings that week. He was also exhausted after intense days at work, usually falling asleep on the couch for the whole evening or deciding to take a "nap" in bed. And by "nap" I mean that he would ask me to wake him up in 30 minutes or an hour, but I knew he was out for the night - and he was.
There's a little good news to go along with this, which is that for the last three days of the week Brian was the last fellow out of the hospital. So we're hoping that he won't be so late getting home every night and will be able to eat with us more often. Plus its a pretty big bummer for everyone when Brian only gets to see the kids for 15 to 30 minutes before they go to bed. In fact the kids missed Brian so much, they BOTH asked for him to brush their teeth on Saturday morning (which is unheard of to not want Mommy to brush their teeth). I could also tell they were having a little trouble with the adjustment since every morning the kids would come into my room (for a little Iphone/Ipod time before starting the day) and they would ask about Daddy right away.
The other "good" thing about last week was no call - but that all changes this week. Brian has home call on Friday then 24 hour in-house call on Sunday. And we have no idea what to expect as far as how call will be.
Brian did make it home for dinner tonight, which I held until 6:30 so he could make it. Hopefully this week his percentage of family dinners will be on the rise!
Back To School Night - Germantown Hills, IL (2016)
10 years ago




It will be hard but Brian will love that the children yearn for his presence. And we're both glad you all had July to spend time together. Mimi
ReplyDelete