For weeks and weeks, this was the conversation I'd have with Nathan 5 to 30 minutes after we put him to bed:
Nathan (calling from his bedroom): "Mommy!"
Mommy (coming to the door): "Yes Nathan?"
Nathan: "Mommy, you're being too loud. Can you be a little bit quieter because I trying to go to sleep?"
Mommy: "Yes, Nathan. Now go to sleep."
The first few times he did this one of us had been making some noise, but then it progressed into a nightly ritual that we would undergo even if Brian and I had spent those 5 to 30 minutes sitting side-by-side on the couch tapping quietly away at our computers! Thankfully, since coming home from our beach/Knoxville trips, Nathan seems to have forgotten about this important nightly conversation.
* * *
This is one of Nathan's where I'm still holding onto his "little boy" way of talking. For a long time, he would always ask me "Can you snap my button?" on his polo shirts. I finally decided that I needed to correct him, to tell him that he should be asking "can you button my button?" Wonderfully, he turned this new information into an even cuter request: "Can you button my button my shirt?"
One additional factoid: Nathan's always asking us to also button the top button of his polo shirts, and every time I have to explain to him that men don't really button the top button. I finally can convince him, with varying degrees of difficulty depending on the day, to do it my way.
* * *
When we got to the beach (in May), it was quickly apparent that Sarah was alternately calling Gran "Nana" or "Mommy". Knowing that this would be confusing and quickly grow old during out time at the beach, I tried to get her to say another name for Gran until she could/would actually pronounce "Gran". The one that stuck was "Mimi" (although in my head I always think "me-me"). Then when we went to Knoxville, Sarah started calling Nathan "Nae-nae" or "Na-nae" and Grand Dad became "Paw-paw" (but only for that visit). She now has some name she uses for Grand Dad, but she's still not consistent with it.
Since June, Nathan has been alternately calling my mother "Gran" and "Mimi". This was pretty cute - the other day when we were video chatting with Gran and Pawpaw and Nathan said "Gran... (something, something)" and Sarah quickly corrected him with "Mimi!". Like, don't you know what her real name is, silly? Gran and I talked about this a few weeks ago and she said she's fine with either name, so only time will tell which name will stick.
* * *
Sarah uses "bee" for any bug that she sees and "duck" for any bird that she sees. And she is a pro at finding ducks randomly in books, at the store and around the house that I never had noticed were there!
* * *
Nathan (as we walk out of the house): "Its much hotter then I thought it was!"
It seems that spring/summer weather keeps surprising him, day after day and week after week!
* * *




Laughing out loud here! Mimi
ReplyDelete