Tuesday, August 20, 2013

We are the Kornrumpfs: The Double Stroller Project

Before we came to Boston, one of my wonderful playgroup friends got me in contact with one of her friends who was living in Boston with husband and two kids.  They were here for the year (last year), with the husband in a one year fellowship and two children, ages 3 and 1 (almost exactly the same age Nathan and Sarah are now).  How perfect was that?!  Needless to say, it was such a blessing to be able to be able to hear from someone in almost my same situation to get advice and tips and answer the hundreds of questions I had leading up to our move.

One of the things I asked her about was getting around the city with two young children.  She told me that although lots of people take their strollers on the T, she found it easier not to and just have her kids walk.  Now I was excited about the no-stroller idea but just slightly unsure if my kids were really going to be able to make that work, especially early on in the year, while Sarah was younger and neither child was used to doing lots of walking.  Although I loved the side-by-side double stroller we already owned, I knew it was going to be just too big and bulky for city living.  So when we got a single stroller that was light weight and easily collapsable (ie. T friendly) for FREE, I was pumped!

Once we got to Boston, though, I wasn't quite thrilled with our situation.  I don't know if my friend's kids were faster walkers or more cooperative, or if she's more patient the I am, but I quickly realized that if I wanted to get anywhere in a timely manner I would need to take the stroller (Bus! Bike! Dog! T! Something on the sidewalk! Crosswalk button! Random person! Convertible car! Siren!). Also we had one or two instances early in July when Nathan started to get really REALLY tired on an outing and acted like he would collapse with exhaustion if we didn't let him ride in the stroller.  Since Brian and I were both there, we could just take turns carrying Sarah and let Nathan ride in the stroller.  But that of course was not going to be an option once Brian started working.

When Brian and I were in the city in April, I saw some people pushing strollers with cool roller boards attached to the back, where the big kid could ride when they wanted or easily hop off and walk.  However none were compatible with our smallest-of-the-line single stroller.  Brian gave serious thought to designing and building a custom board for our stroller while we were still in NC, however there were some design problems that he just couldn't see a way around.  Another option was just to buy a new double stroller, but the nice ones that city folk usually buy are in the $600 - $800 price range.  AACK!  Definitely an investment that's worth it if we had had our babies here and planned to live here long term, but certainly not for one year!

Then, while I was on my trip to Ft Stewart in mid-July, Brian brainstormed a way to convert our single stroller into a double while still retaining the easy folding function. He texted me a picture of a mock-up and when I got home and saw it in person, I gave an enthusiastic thumbs up.  So that week he headed to the hardware store to pick up some supplies and the modifications began.

Here's the stroller before construction started:

We had two camp chairs that we bought when Brian and I were first married to take on our CYP retreats (our church's long-disbanded college & young professionals group).  One underwent significant modifications to become the rear seat on our stroller, but Sarah is showing off the other in its original form.


Daddy consulted with Nathan on exactly how to modify the frame.


Then Nathan "helping hold" for Daddy.


And I'm pretty sure this is just showing off!


As we prepared to move to Boston, we were warned that many people who move here end up loving it and staying for much longer then they originally intended.  I had wondered if that would be a temptation for us.  Then Brian set up his "work bench" in our living room and from the (good natured) muttering under his breath about the work bench and bemoaning the tools that he had left in storage, I decided that this was one sure sign we would NOT fall into that trap!


Brian was able to scavenge some metal tubing from the ironing board frame. 


Sarah showing off Brian's resourcefulness!


A little more construction, some duct tape, some sewing and voila - the kids posing in the finished stroller!  As you can tell, Nathan was NOT trilled about being in this picture.


One month later, I could not imagine life in Boston without my wonderful double stroller.  It goes everywhere with us and keeps me and the kids MUCH more cheerful then we would be without it.  Nathan usually requests to ride in the "front" seat, which works out great because Sarah prefers to climb into the "back" seat (bonus - it's less likely to tip backwards with that seating configuration).

So, spend hundreds of dollars on a new double stroller?  Give up on outings with the kids because they're just too difficult?  No way - we are the Kornrumpfs!  We spend less then $20 on supplies, scavenge materials from around the house, and build a double stroller ourselves!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! Heeheehee! more chuckles... The tattoos! The stool as workbench! Nathan with the wrench! Cannibalizing the ironing board (when you didn't know what one was till you were about 5!) Mimi

    ReplyDelete