Thursday, March 12, 2015

Andrew: 8 Weeks


Prediction: Andrew will be a thumb sucker like his big sister. He tries and tries and tries his hardest to get his hand in his mouth but he's not quite there yet.  Just give him a few more weeks...





I realized that I've been neglecting tummy time for Andrew lately.  Tummy time usually would deteriorate into Angry Andrew Tantrum because he would rest his head on the floor right next to his fist, so of course he would try to suck on his fist but couldn't get a good latch and that's just so frustrating!  But this week he surprised me at how high up he could hold his head.  In fact one morning the big kids and I were astounded when he rolled (toppled) right on over to his back! 

Side note... I was looking at this picture of Andrew and got deja vu.  Here's Nathan in the same oufit during tummy time at about 10 weeks.  Looks a lot like the same baby to me!


I've been bracing myself for days for the World's Biggest Diaper Blowout.  As of today, Andrew had not pooped for 5 days, but even that was small, so it had been 7 (!) days since he had a substantial size dirty diaper.  He hasn't seemed uncomfortable and internet research says that while it is uncommon for breast-fed babies to go so long between poops, its not unheard of.  But lately I've been really nervous about taking him out of the house in case he exploded all over himself/me/the carseat.  So yesterday morning Andrew had his first bath (he's taken a few showers with Daddy so don't think we've totally neglected his hygiene), in the hopes that it would help him relax and poop.  Sarah was super excited about "washing" Andrew in the bath.  He enjoyed bath time, but it didn't bring about the desired results.



I gave him another bath last night, again without the anticipated results.  So tonight Brian did some intervention and was rewarded with a full diaper.  I'm certain we will all sleep better tonight for it!


Andrew's skin turned really terrible around the 4/5 week mark.  He started getting baby acne but then his skin just felt hard, so I've been diligently keeping his face moisturized with Sarah's eczema lotion and this past week his skin has started looking great again.  He also started developing cradle cap so I've been slathering lotion all over his head as well.  Daddy scrubbed his scalp in the shower, but not too hard so he wouldn't rub all of Andrew's hair out (which happened to Sarah when she was a baby).

And sleep?!?  Daytime naps are pretty good and mostly predictable, but evenings and nights are still crazy random.  We CANNOT figure out how to get this kid to bed in the evening and have him stay asleep.  On the bright side, the time change went super smoothly for the whole family which I am thankful for.

Andrew turns two months old tomorrow and he'll have his check-up next Tuesday at 9 weeks old!  Time is flying!

Postscript: While I was just nursing Andrew to sleep again this evening, I remembered this video of Sarah trying and succeeding in sucking her thumb.  I had to find it and figure out how old she was.  She's just a week or two older then Andrew is now, so maybe he'll get that thumb in the next few weeks.  (She succeeds in getting her thumb about 1:30).

No comments:

Post a Comment