By my very scientific and accurate measurements, we got 5 inches of the white stuff!
I wasn't sure how long Sarah would last, so right away I asked the kids to take one picture with me.
Then we got right to work building our snowman. Nathan rolled the bottom section, I rolled the middle and Sarah made the head.
Immediately after we got the first one constructed, Nathan was ready to make a "Mommy" to go with the "Daddy" snowman. Sarah wasn't interested in rolling any more snowballs, instead wanted to do some detail work on the one we already had standing.
The kids were eager to get a face on our snowman and asked me to get a carrot for his nose. Unfortunately I only had baby carrots in the house, so it was quite a diminutive schnoz. Nathan thought of using cucumber slices for his eyes and then I grabbed some grape tomatoes for his mouth. Not the most beautiful snowman ever to be built, but we were definitely proud of him.
By this time Sarah was ready to retreat back into the warm house, but I waned to keep her outside a little longer so I offered to show her how to make a snow angel. Both kids loved seeing it and promptly set about making their own.
I wish I had taken a video of Sarah walking around and making about 10 snow angels. She would lie down and make one, the pop up and walk a few feet to some fresh snow and plop down again. I would follow her, feigning surprise and astonishment as I would ask "You're going to make ANOTHER snow angel?!" But finally she tired of that activity as well and headed inside.
That allowed me to help Nathan continue building our snowman family. We completed a Daddy and a Mommy (with faces) and had built two children before Andrew started crying and I had to run in and get him up from his nap. Nathan lost interest at that point as well but even so we had some impressive creations to show for our morning's work.
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) the weather stayed above freezing that day so by the afternoon one of our snowmen had already collapsed against its neighbor. There was still enough snow left that evening to make snow-cream, which is what Sarah was sure to tell everyone about when they asked her about the snow. The snow thankfully melted over the weekend but we were all glad of one more chance to enjoy the winter weather before it warmed up - hopefully for good!















No comments:
Post a Comment