Saturday, March 7, 2015

Andrew: Weeks 6 and 7


This is how I think of Andrew at this stage - standing in my arms, looking around with his mouth wide open and a wondering expression on his face (his expression in the picture isn't quite as full of amazement as it usually is).  He is so wide-eyed a lot of the time, staring at windows and ceiling lights and fans, the pictures on the wall behind the couch where I nurse during the day, and especially my shirt when I'm wearing stripes.


The other Andrew trait I think of these days is smiles!!


Andrew continues to grow like a weed.  He weighs about 15 lbs these days, averaging about a pound a week weight gain since his 3.5 week pediatrician checkup.  We finished up the last of the size 1 diapers today so we've bumped him up into size 2s.  Just in time too because he only likes to poop once every day or two, so we need all the diaper we can get to contain that mess!  Also this week I've packed away his 3 month footie pajamas and pulled out the 6 month size.  He still fits in 3 months pants and tops, but has gotten too long for the one-piece outfits that I mainly dress him in.

The big kids still LOVE LOVE LOVE their little brother.  On Friday Andrew and I went to the kids' soccer practice for the first time.  I was going to feed him as soon as I got him situated, but he started fussing before I was quite ready.  Sarah heard him and announced to the class that it was her baby Andrew crying, then jumped up and ran across the gym to pat him on the head and say "Its ok Andrew, its ok Andrew" before running back to join the team.  When Andrew starts fussing in his rumble seat, Nathan will say "I'll give him comfort" and then pat him and talk to him.  Both kids also love to be nose-to-nose with Andrew when they're excited and playing with him. 

Sleep is still unpredictable.  We've have "good" evenings when Andrew will go down by 8ish, but two nights ago he was up and down until almost 10pm.  He has slept almost all the way through the night twice - both times I did a dream feed around 10:30pm and then he slept all the way through until 6:30.  I try hard to keep my expectations low, remembering how Nathan slept through the night four days in a row as an infant before he began the sleep issues that culminated in waking every hour all night long.  Plus the time change tonight is going to have who-knows-what kind of effect on things.  But every day he gets a little older and a little closer to a more consistent schedule (hopefully)!  As Grandmother told me that she used to tell herself, if you can get to 3 months old you know you're going to make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment