Thursday, June 10, 2010

Fun at the Big Pool!

Nathan and I went to the city pool for the first time on Tuesday, and we both had a lot of fun! We ended up meeting Melissa, Francesca and Dominic there, so I had someone there to show me the ropes (and lend me the additional $16 I needed to buy the summer pass).  We sure are going to miss them when they move next week!

Our adventure started out rough, but luckally got better as we went along.  The main problem involved the sunscreen.  Before we left the house, I carefully applied it to Nathan's arms, legs and face, avoiding the backs of his hands and trying to be very careful around the eye area.  But as we were running errands before heading to the pool, Nathan rubbed his right eye and got sunscreen in it.  When we stopped at the library, it was red and teary, so I went to the bathroom and wet a paper towel to try to wipe the sunscreen away.  Unfortunantly, when we got to the pool, his eye was even more red and swollen, and his face was getting splotchy.  I had a washcloth that I used to wipe his eye again, and I think that got the sunscreen out because his eye SLOWLY started to look better.
Looks might comfortable, doesn't it?

We all started out swimming in the big pool, where Nathan is required to wear a swim vest.  As you can see from the picture above, even the smallest vest size was a little big on him, so that was the first strike against  the big pool.  When we got into the pool, Nathan wasn't too sure about the water.  We bounced in and out for a while until he was comfortable just being in the water with me holding him.  After a while longer, I was able to hold him under his arms and encourage him to "kick, kick" and he did!  He was happy for a little bit, then I thought he was getting sleepy because his eyes kept closing.  When we got out of the pool and I took off the swim vest, Nathan seemed fine again, so I think it may have been the brightness of the sun reflecting off the pool that was making him squint.  But Nathan definitely got a second wind after getting out of the swim vest, so we headed over to the splash pool where no vest was required!
 
Nathan trying to "catch" the water from the little fountain spout.

We started out by just sitting on the beach entrance (I think that's what you call it when you have a sloped entrance to the pool?), watching everything going on in the splash pool and also getting used to the little waves washing up on us.  After Nathan had observed enough to get comfortable, I took him over to the mushroom/fountain/thing to see what he though of it.  He wasn't too crazy about getting splashed in the face, so we retreated to some tamer fountains back in the very shallow water.  These fountains had two little streams of water arcing from each of them and Nathan enjoyed playing with them for quite a while. 
That's my son!  SPF 70+, hat, shirt, and swim trunks.  The most covered up kid at the pool!

The fun continued after we got home because Nathan still had on his bracelet from the pool.  It is the perfect chew toy because its right there on his wrist and since it is designed to stay on in the water, it doesn't dissolve as he chews on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment