Tuesday, June 29, 2010

More Favorite Things

Our Shadow
I think I first noticed this one at the pool with Nathan two or three weeks ago.  But now, whenever I'm carrying him around outside (I'm pretty sure he doesn't ever look for it inside), he will squirm around in my arms until he can bend over and inspect our shadows on the ground. Sometimes (like when its behind us), I'll turn around and show it to him so he'll stop twisting around to find it.  I mentioned to Brian last weekend (while on the wild day trip to Dunn, NC to buy some tires and rims for Brian's truck for his bday) how much Nathan loves to look for his shadow, and he didn't believe me.  That was until later when he was holding Nathan, who was writhing in his arms and looking for their shadow! 

Cups
Nathan has liked cups for a while, we have one in the bath tub for months to help rinse him off, but he also really likes it as a toy.  He will bang it on the ground, or on his head, or practice drinking out of it.  Within the last few weeks, he has gotten really good at drinking water out of grown-up cups that Brian and I hold for him.  The sippy cup, however, is still a work in progress.

Mommy's hair
Today I was nursing Nathan, and he was trying with all his might to reach the hair over my shoulder.  He kept twisting and stretching (while still eating), determined to grab and pull on my hair.  I kept stretching and leaning back away from him, but he would not be deterred.  You should have seen the determination in his eyes!  I had to call Brian to bring me a clip so that we could finish the feeding in peace.  These days, having my hair down is asking for trouble on my part!

Mommy's legs
Sounds kind of silly, but when we are sitting on the floor together playing, or especially at the swimming pool, he loves to play with my legs.  He will pat them or grab them or try to eat them.  Last week when we were at small group church in Knoxville, Nathan was sitting on the floor playing during the devo.  At one point he was starting to get fussy, so I moved my leg near him as a distraction.  Well, it was a distraction for more then just Nathan because Mark Luck, who was leading the devo, commented "Look at him grabbing onto his mother's leg!" 

His Changing Table
I've mentioned this one before, but Nathan continues to love his changing table.  He loves playing with the toy we have suctioned to the mirror.  He LOVES to kick his legs super fast - Brian called it "pinwheeling" today - before, during and after diaper changes.  The changing table continues to be his "happy place"!

Book Covers
We may finally be working our way past this one, but whenever I try to read books to Nathan, he tries to close them so that he can examine the cover of the book.  It is of utmost importance to him to examine and reexamine the cover of any book we try to read.  I can't seem to get him interested in any pictures inside the book, so whenever I read to him it turns into a "fight" over the book being open or closed.  I'm trying to persevere because I want Nathan to love to read as much as I do (ok, maybe not quite that much because I get VERY unproductive when I get immersed in a good book).   However, we may be turning the corner today, because he actually didn't fight me the whole time when I read to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment