Monday, November 18, 2013

Oh Nuts! (Sarah's Allergy Update)

Sarah had her two year check up last Wednesday and her pediatrician ordered this panel of blood tests for her:


We were out to dinner tonight so I didn't get the message until just a few minutes ago with her test results... Sarah tested NEGATIVE for allergies to all tree nuts and peanuts!

This means two things:

First, blood allergy tests can have both false positive and false negative results.  So keeping in mind that Sarah did have quite a reaction to the peanut butter toast, our pediatrician is NOT giving us the all clear on peanuts (which Brian concurs with completely).  Instead she is referring us to an allergist at Boston Children's Hospital and he will decide what the next step will be.  Brian thinks it may be a skin test for peanut allergy.

Second, I'm going to squeeze a trip to Trader Joe's into our planned outing to the Children's Museum tomorrow morning.  There I will stock up on all kinds of tree nuts that are processed in a peanut-free plant (I already scoped those out this weekend while thinking positive thought!).  Then tomorrow night (after Brian gets home, just in case) we will commence with a tree nut tasting extravaganza with the kids. 

I have definitely done the happy dance a few times tonight... and I'm pretty sure there will be more spontaneous outbursts of joy to come!

1 comment:

  1. From Aunt Karen: great news! Hope the test proves successful for Sarah to enjoy peanut butter again. I know it's hard for her diet to be so restrictive (as well as the rest of you as a result) especially since she seems to like most foods. Good luck! Love to all.

    ReplyDelete