Friday, November 8, 2013

Sarah's New Hair-Do


Yep, her hair is long enough for pig-tails!  I snagged a container of tiny colored hair ties in Knoxville and am learning how to put them in.  I feel like I'm all thumbs trying to get those bands wrapped tight enough so that they won't slip out, though I know that I quickly will become proficient in putting her hair up.  It reminds me of when Nathan was a newborn and I felt so clumsy trying to put a diaper on him.  I remember that moment so vividly - standing over him at the changing table, and I knew right away that although diapering a newborn felt so new and different, that "new" feeling would wear off very, very quickly!

I also stocked up in Knoxville on snap-clips for Sarah's bangs, which are falling right in her eyes now if I don't pull them back.  Unfortunately her hair is so thin and fine that I'm having a lot of trouble keeping them from slipping out.  Any suggestions from moms of little girls would be greatly appreciated!

In other news, I mentioned that Sarah got an infection under her thumb sucking callous right before our Knoxville trip.  We ended up not needing the oral antibiotics that we scrambled to get before we left Boston, since the infection started healing well once we kept it bandaged with topical antibiotics.  Bandaged also meant that there was NO thumb sucking for almost a solid week.  Unfortunately Nana bore the brunt of the angry 4am wakings since Sarah couldn't put herself back to sleep with her standard soothing mechanism.  By the end of our week in Knoxville, we tried to get her to suck her thumb a couple of times and she wasn't interested (hooray!), but then on the plane ride home she got the idea to stick it in her mouth and it turned into a game/battle to get her to stop.  Since we've been home we've caught her sucking it a few times as she was going to sleep.  She will pull it out of her mouth when we ask but we think she is still sucking some at night.  So, unfortunately, not the complete break that we had hoped for, but she really isn't trying to suck it for comfort when she's awake (which I will now have no tolerance for anyway).  So at least we've made a major improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment