Sunday - The whole family was up early to be at the Knoxville airport before 7am. Gran and Pawpaw met us there (to take the car back to Nana and Grand Dad), so we got to spend some last few minutes visiting with them. We flew from Knoxville to Chicago, with the kids passing the time coloring on their notebooks and reading the safety information cards from the seat backs in front of them.
Our plane to Boston was delayed, so after a "brunch" of muffins and
orange chicken with fried rice, the kids and I passed the time waiting
on our plane playing on the "walk-a-vators" (the moving sidewalks). That tired them out enough that they were then content to sit down - Sarah's reading a book and Nathan's working on a project in his notebook. Our purchase of a small marker set (that hooks on a carabiner!) and a notebook for each kid was the BEST airplane diversion for these two!
Both flights went well and we made it home about 3:00 to be greeted by a very lonely kitty. Spent the afternoon and evening unpacking, cleaning and reorganizing the house. We also took the opportunity to convert Sarah's crib into a toddler bed, since she was climbing/falling out the week before our Knoxville trip. Ate at the Oriental Pearl (Asian take-out restaurant 1 minute from our house) and LOVED it! Brian was coming down with a head cold, so he went to bed early while I spent the evening sorting through and editing wedding photos. I knew that I had a busy week ahead of me so I wanted to get something to Bridget and David sooner rather then later.
Monday - Brian was home in the morning pre-call, so I rolled out of bed and ran to the grocery store early to restock our empty fridge. Trying to make life a little easier on myself, I bought Sarah some greek yogurt sweetened with honey at the store so I wouldn't have to make any for a few days. Unfortunately it backfired as she did NOT like the taste, so I ended up starting a batch of homemade yogurt in the slowcooker anyway. Spent the rest of the day with more unpacking/cleaning/organizing/cooking. Brian was on call that night, so after the kids went to bed, I stayed up decorating for Nathan's birthday, making cupcakes and his #4 cake, wrapping presents and blowing up balloons.
Tuesday - Nathan's 4th Birthday!
Wednesday -Spent part of the morning at home still trying to catch up post-vacation. I always feel like it takes me a week to "recover" after a vacation! Then it was off the the pediatrician's for Nathan's four year well child visit! He did great - he was excited and cooperated during the vision test and the hearing test (and passed both) and did great while our new physician Dr. M. examined him. Being used to our old practice, which would always give me a hand-out to take home with the kids' stats, I didn't write Nathan's height or weight down. And since our new office didn't give me a handout, all I remember is that Nathan is in the 25% for weight and 33% for height (his weight may have been 33.5 lbs and 33% for height would be around 3ft 3.5in tall).
Uncle Joe and Aunt Suzi flew to Boston Wednesday afternoon on a trip to visit cousin Jacob in Worchester, but we were lucky enough to have them stay over at our apartment for one night. They came during the kids' naps and we had a great visit that afternoon and over a dinner at Bottega di Capri.
Thursday - Halloween! (and more of our visit with Aunt Suzi, Uncle Joe and Jacob)
Friday - Nathan had been asking most of the week to go to the Children's Museum, so even though the forecast was calling for rain, the kids and I headed out toting our rain jackets and umbrellas with us. On our way to the museum we didn't get rained on, but it was crazy windy!! When I was walking from the T stop the wind was so strong, I literally could not make any forward progress pushing the stroller. A lady blowing past suggested I head to the other side of the street and that worked much better (the buildings gave us a little more shelter). We had a fun time, as usual. The kids spent a while in the art studio, where we explored 100 different things used to make marks (random items used with a stamp pad), then they were both enthralled with building with these randomly-shaped blocks.
During lunch, I was watching the weather and was pretty sure we would make it back to the T before the rain started. Unfortunately my weather app radar was not accurate and the deluge started 2 minutes before we left the museum. Neither child wanted to put on their rain coat before we left, but of course after a minute outside in the poring rain they both decided they did want their jackets. That meant we got to stop in the wind on a bridge to wrestle them on. Needless to say, my anorak (which is water resistant and not waterproof) was soaked through by the time we got to the T!
Saturday - I went out for an earlyish grocery run again in the morning while Daddy stayed home and gave Nathan a haircut. By the time that we realized the Parade of Champions for the Red Sox started at 10am (they won the World Series this year, for those who don't follow baseball), it was 9:50 and Daddy was still in the shower with the kids, so we settled for watching some of the parade on TV. It was a beautiful day, and the last day before daylight savings time ended, so Daddy took the kids to the park while I worked on the blog and cooked dinner (roasted whole chicken, fried cabbage, sauteed mushrooms, focaccia bread from the freezer). Daddy came home and reported that Sarah is becoming a speed demon trike rider - thank goodness for the handle! At 7:00pm the Vols game vs. Missouri started, so we watched some of the game with the kids, keeping them up late due to the time change.
Back To School Night - Germantown Hills, IL (2016)
10 years ago








Another great blog! Thank you so much for sharing! GranMom
ReplyDelete