Thursday, November 7, 2013

This and That (Yikes - September!)

Umm, so apparently most of this is from September - oops!

Sarah eating TONS of yogurt.  Always lots in the morning (I have a little bowl too) and then occasionally for a snack in the afternoon.  In North Carolina I had been making yogurt and incubating it in our dehydrator, but that appliance was too big to bring with us.  So I've finally refined my technique for making yogurt in the crockpot, which makes it much cheaper to support Sarah's yogurt habit then buying it from the store.  But I did just have to move up from my medium-sized crockpot (where I would make about a quart of yogurt at a time) to my big crockpot (where I made about half a gallon last batch).  And that amount still doesn't last the two of us for two whole weeks!

We had to buy a new black stuffed bear for Sarah since she was always wanting to take Nathan's bear.  At the end (before we broke down and bought a second one), Mommy and Daddy were facilitating the "stealing" of the bear so that Sarah could sleep with it at naptime and bedtime.  However, after finding his bear in her bed a few times, Nathan got wise and would look for it every time they went to sleep.  So Daddy found an identical bear on Amazon, but within a few minutes of it arriving in the mail, we quickly realized that we needed distinguishing characteristics since the kids were fighting over which was "their" bear.  As a quick (and possibly permanent fix) I used a strip of pink fabric to make a "bow" for Sarah's bear.  It is now one of her favorite stuffed animals (actually joins a long list of favorites) and Nathan's is once again regulated to obscurity at the foot of his mattress, since he is only shows interest in his stuffed animals when Sarah shows interest in them. 

Nathan is working on dropping his nap and seems to actually be falling alseep only every third day.  Mama is not thrilled about this development, but I'm working on some ideas of how to keep him entertained without lots of involvement from me (I'm currently super-protective of my "me" time during naps, since that's the only break from the kids I get during the day).  He does have to lay down every day for some "quiet time", and then I check on him after 45 minutes and get him up if he's still awake.  That way he still gets some good "rest" time yet he's out of the room early enough that he doesn't wake Sarah up if he happens to make some noise.  And the days that he does fall asleep, Mama does a happy dance!

Sarah always makes me smile when she calls "coming, coming" as she runs down the hall toward me.  Or sometimes she says "me coming" to clear up any confusion about who it may be!  She also is going through a phase where she's calling me "Katie" or "Katie Mommy".  I usually respond with, "You can call me 'Mommy'."

Sarah is counting like a champ and I haven't intentionally been working with her at all!  She can count from 1 to about 13 then usually skips to 18, 19, then straight to 30, 31, 32, 33.  (Now, at the beginning of November, she goes from 1 to 18ish, then to 31 through 40).

And random pictures from September:

This is what our "squeeze paining" looks like.

These were some pictures we mailed to someone, possibly Nana and Grand Dad.  Nathan was going through a cool phase where he would be determined to color every single white spot on the page.  I was continually amazed at how long his concentration span was as he worked on these.  Most of his full-page creations would take more then one sitting to complete.

The kids were randomly cuddling while sitting on the little red potty seats and (shockingly) Nathan asked me to get my camera and take a picture of the two of them!  These kids really do love and like each other (most of the time... this month at least...)


This is how I was "doing" Sarah's hair for a while - clipping a towel around her neck, then spraying and scrunching her hair with water.  It would give her beautiful ringlets in the back!

Some favorite library books from September.

Nathan and Sarah "reading" on the loveseat, surrounded by their animals.  I'm pretty sure they got this set up all by themselves and I had to run and get the camera to capture the scene!

Our toy "parking lot" along the long back hall in our house.  I'm sure I haven't mentioned that Sarah's learned to pedal her trike... maybe in October sometime? I did take a video of it!

Sarah running some important errand (no, she cannot ride the scooter yet!).

No comments:

Post a Comment