Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Days of our Lives (Nov 10 - Nov 16)

Sunday - Church and small groups.  Ordinary, lazy family Sunday.

Monday - Decided to make a grocery run in the morning due to the even colder weather forecast for the rest of the week.  Nathan didn't want to change out of his shorts and short sleeve shirt and since I had two people recently encourage me to let him suffer natural consequences of his choices, I told him what I though he should wear but also that he could make the final decision.  He chose to stay in his "inside clothes".  I did ask him to pick out a pair of long pants and long sleeve shirt to put in my backpack in case he changed his mind and he eagerly complied (with that request at least).  I took a scenic route home from the store and we found ourselves driving by the  Chestnut Hill Reservoir.  Sarah kept asking "Me touch lake" and since it was her birthday I decided to pull over and we got out of the car.  Nathan was not interested from the get-go and put up lots of resistance at even getting out of the car.  Did I mention it was a cold and blustery day, made even windier since we were by the water?  At first he refused to even put on his zip-up jacket, but after one minute he changed his mind.  Then one more minute and he asked me to help him put his pants over his shorts.  Unfortunately he was still cold/mad enough that he started crying as we got close to the lake (and the wind kept picking up speed), so I told him to sit down on some benches while Sarah and I walked up to the edge of the reservoir.  I snapped a picture then took pity on Nathan and we headed back to the car.  After we got home and chatted with him about it, I think he may have learned the wrong lesson from this experience - instead of "wear warm clothes when Mommy suggests it" I think his take away was "resist any attempts to make him go outside in the cold."  *sigh*


That night I made pizza for Sarah's birthday dinner and she had a lot of fun opening her presents.  That post is back here.

Tuesday - SNOW!!  Thankfully just flurries for a short while in the morning, but still!  So the kids and I stayed home for the morning and made playdough and played with it for hours.  Then we got out Sarah's new Gears playset and played with that for a while.





During Nathan's "work time" after nap I challenged him to write some new letters, and boy did he ever write!!  We practiced Bs and Ds and found out that Bs start out as Ps.  Also Es and Fs and Os and one L and one G.  The scribbles are where Nathan didn't like how his letter turned out - seems like he may have some perfectionist tendencies.


Wednesday - Sarah's two year checkup was this morning and got all good news about how she's growing and developing.  I also chatted with the pediatrician about her eczema and got a new topical steroid Rx and recommendation for a new everyday lotion.  Then we headed over to Children's Hospital for the allergy blood test.  I texted Brian and wonderfully he was able to come down and see us, he sat with Nathan while Sarah had her blood drawn then we all went outside to a little courtyard to play on the playground that we had seen outside the window.  Then Daddy had to get back to work and we had another hospital meal of mac n' cheese (for the kids) and cheddar broccoli soup (for me), we headed home for naps.  That night I did some googling to find peanut-free tree nut suppliers since I was hoping and praying for good news (which, of course, we go!).

Also, Sarah's stats were:
   Weight - 25 lbs (30%)
   Height - 33.5" (50%)
   Head - 48 cm

I also asked the nurse to pull up Nathan's stats for me, so here are those as well:
   Weight - 33.2 lbs (25%)
   Height - 39.5" (33%)

Thursday - We hit up the library in the morning and recognized one of the moms from the playgroup at the park that we went to in September!  So after checking out our books, we headed to a new park with them and had a nice time.  One of the boys who lives in the apartment next door was out at recess when we were there and came up to say hi to Nathan.  Nathan tried to tell me this later, but I didn't understand with he meant until the his mom mentioned it to us in passing.

That night Brian and I wanted "some-fin yummy for dinner" as we say to each other, so we walked across the street to the Texas-style smokehouse restaurant.  I think I've mentioned Sarah's adventerous eating, but it was taken to a new level when she wanted to try our fried jalapeno peppers!  They actually weren't spicy until you got close to the stem and ate the seeds, so we kept that part away from her and she was loving the mild end of the pepper!

The kids had decided they needed their umbrellas that night even though there was not a hint of rain.  But when you get cool umbrellas for your birthdays, you shouldn't need an excuse to carry them around, right?


Because of a major fight with Nathan before dinner about changing from shorts to long pants, after we got home Brian and I confiscated all his shorts and short sleeve shirts.  He did ask nicely and got his undershirts back (that Nana and Grand Dad had just sent hem), but the rest of his summer clothes are now put away.  Amazingly he only asked for his shorts one morning and since then he's embraced wearing long pants.  I was envisioning days of angst about not having shorts to wear, but turns out I was creating angst by letting him hang onto them for so long.  Go figure!

Friday - On Thursday as we were leaving the library, Nathan told me he forgot to look for something to check out of the library.  I told him we would get it next time - turned out that "next time" was the next day!  So we all headed to the library for the second day in a row.  I had a nice chat with the librarian and confessed that I felt bad when I would cart in a stack of 20 - 30 books to turn back into them.  She assured me that it wasn't a problem and she was grateful for people like me that kept them in business.  She also said that she recognized us coming with our red wagon and knew Nathan by name (from looking at his library record while checking in books).  After that chat I feel like I know her better and like that I can greet her by name as we pile books on her desk to be checked back in!

Saturday - Leaf day at church (pics and videos in another post to come)!  We all had lots of fun, then came home and the kids crashed.  Lazy day for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment