Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sarah's Second

As is obvious, I go through phases where its nothing to churn out a blog post every day or two, and then the next week I can't even manage to get the most important things up because I have NO MOTIVATION at the end of the day.  That seems to be this week.  But since it was Sarah's birthday, I forced myself to put something together tonight.  It may continue to be a slow blog week though...

We had an adventure-filled day on Monday, but right now I'm going to focus on the Moment Sarah Turned 2 (according to Nathan's reckonings) aka the singing of "Happy Birthday" and blowing out of candles.

I love our tradition of the number cakes (thanks again Aunt Karen for the pans!).  Unfortunately on Sunday night after I finished baking all the cupcakes, I realized that we had two dozen strawberry cupcakes for the four of to gorge ourselves on, but I forgot to bake Sarah's "2".  Fortunately I had ended up with batter left over and had stuck it in the fridge, so it was just a matter of turning on the oven during naptime to make the required cake.


Weeks ago, when Nathan requested his chocolate cake, Sarah echoed Nathan's request but then mentioned pink cupcakes.  And since my recipe for this cake is entitled "Brian's Favorite Strawberry Cake" from Nana, I seized upon her suggestion and talked up the pink cake to make sure she was excited.  Then I tinted the icing pink for good measure and added sprinkles for the win.

Sarah "accidentally" stuck her finger in the icing before we sang to her.  


Now if Mommy would just stop taking pictures, we could get this show on the road.


She loved the singing...


... and blew her candles out no problem!


Ever since Nathan's birthday, Sarah's been asking for a watch for her birthday.  It become a default prayer request...
Mama: "Sarah, what do you want to say 'thank you God' for?"
Sarah: "Me watch birf-day"
Mama: "Well, we'll see!"
Nathan: "Mommy, you can order one off the internet!"
(Thanks son for ruining any chance of a surprise!)

So we got her the watch and it was a hit.  No pictures though because its obscured under her pink zip-up sweater from Granddaddy and Grandmother, which she was very excited about.  Her other Sarah-only present that we bought was a new pink "Kee Cat" wallet (she calls Hello Kitty "Kee Cat").  I gave her some change from our bowl and she spent quite a while zipping and unzipping the coin purse to put the coins in and take them back out. 



Her prayer request that night was "[Thank you for] My own watch, my own wawwet."  I think we'll call that another successful birthday!

2 comments:

  1. From Aunt Karen: Another successful birthday indeed! Sarah looks adorable and so happy when looking at her cake. Love it when it see that left dimple. I think of Sarah every time I see Hello Kitty things. Now she has some kee-cat things of her own. Cute about the wawwet. Miss you guys and love you. Your folks are coming next week and I plan for Fran to help me decide on the annual Christmas ornaments and something for Nathan since I have Sarah's name puzzle already. Love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie and successful day!

    ReplyDelete