This past weekend, Aunt Karen escaped the snowy wilderness that is the DC area for a visit to also snowy Winston-Salem. We had a wonderful time together! Karen arrived early afternoon on Friday and she and I spent the afternoon catching up (while Nathan was napping) and playing with Nathan (Nathan still has not rolled over again!). After Brian came home, we all went to Jason's Deli for dinner. On our way over, it started to snow - our 4th snow of the year here! This is the snowy-est winter I've ever had! Nathan fell asleep while we were eating, and so the three adults had a nice time talking and enjoying our food.
Unfortunantly, that night was the worst that Nathan had slept - EVER! He woke up almost every hour that night, and I was pretty frustrated (and shed a few tears) because I couldn't figure out why he was waking up. Nathan went to sleep at 9:30 (Brian and I got in bed soon after that), then he was up at 10:20, 11:40, 1:20, 3:45, 5:30, 6:20 and got up at 7:20. I tried putting him in the swing, infant chair, on his side in crib, on his back in crib, I unswaddled one arm (he always sleeps swaddled), took off a layer, and unplugged nightlight, but nothing seemed to make any difference! Brian tried to get up and help me a few times, but he was working a 30 hour shift starting on Saturday morning, so I just kept telling him to go back to sleep. When 7:20 rolled around, I was pretty tired, SO glad the night was over, but actually didn't feel as horrible as I expected. However, Karen encouraged me to take a nap during Nathan's morning nap, so I did and felt much better after that extra hour of sleep.
After all that excitement, I was ready to enjoy our day with Aunt Karen! We headed out to Target and Babies-R-Us, where Karen most generously treated Nathan to a supply of diapers, clothes and toys! We all had a great time together and Nathan was very well behaved through the whole shopping expedition. He fell asleep on our way home, but didn't sleep very long and woke up kind of cranky.
Nathan has started chewing on his fingers a lot more, I guess he's continuing to develop his fine motor skills as he can now get fingers in his mouth as opposed to shoving his whole fist in there. Right now, he doesn't seem to have much preference for his thumb of specific finger(s), just whatever makes it to his mouth first.
Nathan continued to be fussy throughout the rest of the evening, except when Karen suggested that we give him a bath. That made him happy!
Saturday night, Nathan's sleep schedule wasn't as bad. He just woke up 3 or 4 times - more than normal but SO much better then Friday night! Sunday morning Karen packed up and headed out around 8:00am. It was a short visit, but SO MUCH FUN!








No comments:
Post a Comment