Might this not be the cutest picture of Nathan yet?
This post should either start with "Nathan and I had an unexpectedly fabulous day" or "I'm a goober". We'll start with the latter. For a while I've been considering buying a DSLR camera in my quest to take better pictures, and last night I had decided that I was going to take the plunge. I announced my plans to Brian (I'm going to use some gift money that I never spent from the last few Christmas' and birthdays, hence "announce my plans" rather than "discuss the decision"). Then Brian asked the brilliant question, "Have you ever taken pictures with a DSLR?" Well, basically no. This morning I was doing more reading on DSLRs and started looking at tutorials on things like aperture, shutter speed, white balance, ISO, etc. Then I consulted the manual for my camera and found out I could change all this stuff to improve picture taking the camera I have. I played around with it at home some, and immediately figured out how to make my indoor photos have MUCH better color.
After 1st nap and lunch, Nathan and I headed out with the camera and my new-found knowledge to Reynolda Gardens to take some 9 month pictures. I've done this for most of Nathan's month "birthdays" and I'm glad because it makes sure that I get some good pictures of him each month! I ended up getting a few super cute pics of Nathan, ones that required little to no editing/cropping/etc.
I love how he sits with his ankles crossed. I wonder if its because he sees us sitting with our legs crossed all the time? And he loves his toes, too.
He made a lunge for the camera wrist strap. I love this expression!
These next two pictures are completely unedited, and may be the most favorite picture's I've ever taken (of still life). I snapped them just trying out the macro and super macro settings, and came home and was amazed at the result. I guess I do like photography as much as I thought I did (since I got so excited about these pictures), and maybe my current camera isn't as crummy as I thought!
After taking lots of pictures, Nathan started getting grumpy, so we headed home for second nap. Afterwards, we turned right around and went out again to Historic Bethabara Park. I took a few pictures (none with great expressions), then my camera battery died. Boo! But we walked over to the visitors center and got invited to take a guided tour of the church that was built in the 1770s. I've driven through the park once or twice, and even came with work people to play frisbee a time or two, but had never really walked around the park and looked at anything. Anyway, we had a really nice tour and we're definitely going back.
So, with no major plans coming into today, Nathan and I had fun visiting new places, taking some great pictures, and making fun memories (for me at least)! And I'm excited about learning to take better pictures with my current camera! Now my only complaint with it is that it is too gosh darn slow for me to keep up with the ever changing expressions and actions of Nathan (so maybe a new camera is still in my future)!




Those are really good pictures. Congrats on thinking of re-reading the manual. His expressions won't change as quickly as he gets older...so that will help too. LOVE the feet picture.
ReplyDelete