Saturday, October 16, 2010

Learning Little Bits

Nathan keeps us guessing with what his next new accomplishment will be.  We've been trying to get him to wave "bye-bye" for months now (with the open and close your hand kind of wave) and out of the blue on Sunday, he started doing a whole-hand wave!  Now waving is one of his favorite things to do (along with clapping).

Sunday afternoon, Brian was at the hospital doing preops, so Nathan and I were hanging around the house together.  He kept opening and closing his mouth for some reason, and it made me think of a fish.  So I seized the moment and exclaimed, "Nathan, that's what a fish says!", then opened and closed my mouth a couple of times to demonstrate what I meant.  After I demonstrated a few times, Nathan "got" it, and that night we eagerly performed our new skill for Daddy!



I already posted about going to the children's museum on Monday, but what I didn't mention is that G really enjoyed climbing up and down this little staircase at the museum.  While I tried to encourage Nathan to climb up at least one stair, he wasn't going for it.  But that afternoon I took him to the park and showed him how to climb up the playground equipment, which had nice wide steps.  This time Nathan caught on pretty quickly, although he still needed me to give him a little extra push as he brought his second leg up to make sure he didn't fall backwards.
During the day on Monday, I was working at the computer while Nathan was playing on the floor and looked over to see him climb up and sit on the hearth.  He was SO proud of himself, as you can see in the picture!  Although I was pretty worried that he would fall backwards and bust his head, thankfully that didn't happen (this time)!

The other skill that I've been trying to work with him on is blowing, so that he could possibly blow out a candle on his birthday cake.  I haven't been having any luck yet, but we still have a few more days to go until the party!

1 comment:

  1. These make me so happy...and now I hear PaPaw laughing as he watches it too!

    ReplyDelete