Sunday, October 31, 2010

So Over Purees

I knew this day would finally come, but it has now come and gone for a few weeks so I know that there is no turning back: Nathan is SOOO over purees!

Now that I'm finally expanding my menu of finger foods that I can whip out quickly for snacks and meals, I'm pretty excited about this new phase!  Its nice to be able to eat with Nathan and actually be able to eat myself!  The only spoon-needed holdout that I'm still serving is yogurt.  Yesterday I tried giving it to Nathan in a bowl suctioned to his tray, and he did ok feeding it to himself with a spoon.  The spoon was upside down the whole time, but he would stir it around in the yogurt and get a little bit on the end and then straight to his mouth!  I know he's got to learn sometime how to get food onto the spoon, so we might as well start now!

Nathan is also becoming much more proficient with his fork.  When Brian or I put food on his fork for him, he always gets it in his mouth.  There have been a few times where he's actually been able to stab food with the fork by himself!  Sounds like he's ready for a knife now (just kidding!).

So some of his favorite foods these days are avocado, peas, homemade mini banana muffins (I have to tear these into pieces because he likes to shove the whole thing in his mouth!), mini salmon cakes, blueberries, raisins, cheerios and any type of pasta (the current choices I have in the freezer are pasta with tomato sauce or with cheese and carrot sauce). 

I still am feeding Nathan a different menu than Brian and I are eating, but soon I'm planning on changing that as well.  The only thing that I'm worried about it the salt factor.  I don't feel like I heavily salt our food, but I definitely add salt to taste.  Maybe I'll just start having Brian and I add salt at the table to our portions or something.   I'm sure I'll figure it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment