Following closely in her brother's footsteps, building with blocks is Sarah's new favorite indoor activity. She builds every day and whenever it seems like she needs a diversion and I suggest that she plays with them, she almost always says "yeah" and runs excitedly back to her room. The other day I interrupted her building to tell her we were planning on going to the park. I asked her if she wanted to go and she responded "bok!" (block) as she stood up and collected a few to take with her to the park. I gently explained that blocks were an inside toy and she could play with them when she returned.
Lately she has been branching out of her square-block-only towers to towers that contain multiple block shapes. These can make it much higher before falling, so as she was straining up on tip toes to put another block on top of her tower, I suggested that she use a stool to reach the top of her tall tower. She thought that was a great idea.
I think that Sarah's current obsession with blocks has refueled Nathan's interest in blocks as well. Sometimes the kids work nicely together on the same tower, but more often they have their own structures going one. And with their own creations, you never know if they'll happily accept the others' help with building or if the "help" will result in wailing and gnashing of teeth. A common refrain of Nathan's is "Don't let Sarah knock my tower over!!"
And this is the other new building technique that Sarah's developed is this...
... random towers of various heights scattered over the room. It kind of reminds me of... the buttes of Monument Valley?? Or maybe that's just my proud mom brain working overtime.
Here's a somewhat long video of Sarah working on her towers. I was thinking lately that its rare to take a movie of just Sarah these days (usually its both kids or just Nathan), so I decided to do just that!
Back To School Night - Germantown Hills, IL (2016)
10 years ago








No comments:
Post a Comment