Moving Boston Style! The kids and I had to go to town hall after we flew into Boston to buy 3 of these signs for $5 a piece. This allows us to have one day of on-the-street parking for our moving truck. Thankfully I stuck a roll of masking tape in my checked luggage! I had planned to put them up after the kids went to bed, but when I had to lay down with the kids for Sarah to go to sleep on the floor I was worried I would fall asleep too! So I set my phone alarm for 5:00 the next morning. Thankfully she fell asleep pretty quickly and I was able to explain to Nathan that I had to leave to do some work but would be back to sleep for the night.
My plan was to sleep in between the kids to keep them from bothering each other in the night, but they were cuddled pretty close when I went to bed. And since I had to use the flash to take the picture, I didn't want to risk a second flash waking anyone up with this picture turned out blurry. How was our night, you ask? Well the kids slept well through most of the night, but I woke up every hour with a sore back, shoulder, hip, neck. Then around 4:00 I was really cold, so got up and adjusted the thermostat and found the thin cardigan I had brought on the plane. And the 5:00 alarm? I remembered to turn it off on my phone, but apparently my kids didn't need an audible alarm to wake them up at that crazy hour! First Sarah woke up and I tried to shhh her back to sleep. After a few minutes, she crawled over to me and nestled her head on my shoulder. Then Nathan decided he wanted to climb ON TOP OF ME to lie down, but that was not comfortable at all! I finally decided to rearrange us on the floor and try to get the children to rest for a few more minutes, but by 5:30 I gave up and we got up.
Brian arrived at our door at 6:30am with only one hour of sleep under his belt. Our initial plan was to hire movers to unload us in Boston. Unfortunately the ones Brian booked canceled on us at midnight on Sunday night. Thankfully they cancelled and didn't just not show up. But that meant Monday morning Brian was scrambling to book someone for the next day. The movers he found charged us quite a bit more, so we decided we would pay ourselves $140 an hour to unload as much as we could and use them mainly to help with the bigger furniture that I wouldn't be able to carry.
Our movers left us a magnet with their business name on it.
For lunch we went to Cutty's, a sandwich shop that has been featured on Diner's, Drive-Ins and Dives on the Food Network and also is the #2 rated restaurant in Brookline (our "neighborhood" of Boston). It is literally 300 feet from our front door and our sandwiches were GREAT! I got the roast beef/1000 island with fried shallots and Brian got the carnitas sandwich with pickled fennel (?) and cilantro. Both were excellent! And the kids' grilled cheese was one of the best grilled cheeses I've ever had. We definitely will be back!
After lunch - naptime! The kids were exhausted but were so excited to be sharing a room that we just kept hearing giggles and talking and squealing from their room. I finally went in and turned the rocking loveseat to block their line of sight to each other, then lied down on it until they fell asleep. Well, I fell asleep pretty quickly too because after about 45 I abruptly woke up with my ear (of all things) uncomfortable. I snuck out because our mattress was calling my name for the rest of my nap!
After naps, there was no time to waste. Brian needed to return the moving truck and we had found out that our parking spot would be inaccessible for a few days due to work on the sidewalks. So as Brian fought traffic driving our ridiculous moving truck + trailer, I tried to go by our parking spot to get some letter that would allow us to park on the street overnight (no overnight parking on the street in Brookline plus since we have out of state tags we can't even apply for a resident permit to park in the same spot on the street for more then 2 hours!). *Sigh* Well, the road was blocked off, so I fought traffic and eventually was able to drive back to town hall where the man who could also give me a copy of the letter was out of the office at a job site. After trying one more time to get onto my street (yep, it definitely was our street that was still blocked off) I finally decided to park back in front of the apartment, where God interceded on our behalf...
The lady who was in our current apartment, and whom we met when we were here in April, moved upstairs in our same building to a smaller apartment. She is originally from Memphis and had 5 kids (all grown now) and is super nice. She was also the one that mentioned to us early Monday morning about the sidewalk work where our parking spot was. Well, she was getting out of her car when the kids and I pulled back up at the apartment (I had decided I would just walk down to our parking spot and try to get a copy of our letter from someone supposedly working there). And she offered to make us a copy of her letter and stick it in our mailbox! I could have kissed her! I gratefully accepted, then hurried the kids back in the car so we could pick up Brian from the Pensky place.
Meanwhile, Brian was having a heck of a time with the truck! Some lady pulled out in front of him with about 1 ft clearance and he almost nailed her; then to park the trailer in the lot, the Pensky man had to pull the truck into the street and stop traffic in both directions; and when Brian took the truck back out to fill it with gas, it almost got stuck on the overhang at the station! When the kids and I arrived at the Pensky place, Brian was still out filling the truck with gas and Nathan wanted to play on his beloved trailer one more time.
After that, we fought traffic to get to the grocery store (all day Sarah had been telling me "eat, eat" and I was completely out of food to give her!), where we just hurried up and down all the aisles, throwing food into the cart. Then back home for some grocery store fried chicken, strawberries and cucumbers for dinner, with ice cream for dessert! Bath and bed for the kids, then I got a lot the kitchen unpacked while Brian did some other stuff around the apartment. Brian fell into bed exhausted at 9:00 and I followed by 9:45. Thankfully I think that our days are going to be a little less crazy from here on out!
Back To School Night - Germantown Hills, IL (2016)
10 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment