Saturday, July 27, 2013

Brookline Library & Nathan's New Prized Posession

We have made only made two trips to the Brookline Public Library but we already love our new library!!  The building is beautiful inside and out and is just an easy quarter mile stroll away from our house.  Have I mentioned lately how our apartment has the best location EVER!?!



The first time we went was early in the month and I had forgotten to save a proof of address from the trash can, so the kids and I just went in to explore and get a feeling for the library.  As I walked in the main entrance, I felt like I was going into a museum, not my down-the-street library!


**Mimi noticed that in the picture above Nathan is missing some of his limbs.  I assume its due to the way the Iphone program stitches the panoramic photo together.  In this case, I was rotating clockwise to capture the picture and Nathan was running counter-clockwise (relatively speaking).**

The first day the kids and I hung out in the children's sections, reading separately and together, playing with the bead mazes and generally enjoying ourselves.  We also found out some super-exciting information - kids can get their own library card at 3 years old!!  Our old library had a 4 year age limit, so Nathan was SUPER pumped about the prospect of having his own card!

We finally made it back to the library last week with all the required documentation and I registered for my library card at the main desk, then we were told we had to go downstairs to the children's department for Nathan's card.  He was just beaming when the librarian handed his card to him!

He wanted to hold it the whole time we were in the library, on the way home and really wanted to have it in his bed for naptime.  He kept asking "is this how it goes or is this how it goes?", wanting to make sure he was holding it so the words were the right side up.  When I requested a picture of him with his new library card, he eagerly agreed (after confirming correct orientation of the card, of course).  By the end of our outing, he was confident enough that he would just ask "this way, right?" as he held his card up.


To Nathan's dismay I told him that we would be putting his library card in a safe place when we were at home so that it wouldn't get lost and so that we would always have it when we needed.  I'm pretty sure he wanted to sleep with it and take it to the park and show anyone new we happened to meet about his card!

During naptime that day, I reserved about 20 books on my library card.  Nathan wasn't the only one excited about their new library card!

1 comment:

  1. Cool picture of the atrium with Nathan partially invisible! Is he eating enough or just gradually disappearing like the Cheshire cat only leaving his smile eventually?
    Wish we still had a convention nametag holder for you to slip Nathan's card into but they were packed this week or discarded 2 weeks ago. Maybe a beltpack with your address too? Mimi

    ReplyDelete