Saturday, August 7, 2010

Turning Pages

We have made great strides in the book department over the past few weeks.  Nathan has recently become very interested in turning the pages of the books as we read.  In fact, I think he's trying for the title "Fastest Page Turner Ever!" because I have time to read about one phrase per page before we've moved on to the next one.  Every once in a while, he'll slam the book closed on my thumb so he can check out the cover again (still not quite over that obsession).  But Nathan is really starting to like books.  Hooray!

For a long time, I would keep all the books put away on the little bookcase in his room.  Finally some were left on the floor and I realized how interested Nathan was in looking at the books himself!  He would pick up the book and examine the front and back covers (of course) and then open it to look at a few of the pages.  Now I purposely leave books scattered around on the floor because I finally realized that allowing him to explore and "read" books on his own will likely help him learn to love books.  I also resort to books whenever Nathan hurts himself and starts crying - it is the perfect distraction to take the mind off his boo-boo and help him get back into a cheerful mood.

A few of our favorite books are But Not the Hippopotamus, The Going to Bed Book, Goodnight Moon, Pat the Bunny and Is Your Momma a Llama?.  Nathan can do everything in Pat the Bunny except for waving "goodbye" at the end (although sometimes he gets carried away and puts his face into the book like he's smelling or looking into the mirror on too many pages).  He's pretty funny when we read Goodnight Moon because he'll turn the pages more quickly when we're on the black and white illustrated pages, and more slowly when he's looking at the pages in color.  He also usually kisses the book on the "goodnight comb and goodnight brush" page, and I have no idea why, but he's pretty consistent about it!

1 comment:

  1. Dad & I both laughed out loud when we got to his enthusiasm over the Pat the Bunny book. "That brings back good memories!" he said. What a good thing to do when he needs distracting. What fun! Gran

    ReplyDelete